Two questions about a cool mashed stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvinny

Reaction score
I brewed a recipe that I dreamed up last Friday night (while waiting for Hanah) my problem is that I mashed at about 151. I realized that this would give me a highly fermentable but thin beer so I added a couple of quarts of 180 degree water about 25 min into the mash. When I checked it at about the 35 min mark it still seemed low so I decocted about a gallon and added it back after it hit a boil. I let it sit for another 20 min and the temp did come up a little. The beersmith reflects what happened in hindsight not what i was shooting for.
I am RDWHAHB but was wondering if it was worth racking half of it onto two quarts of boiled oatmeal to try to get more mouthfeel. My second question would be what style would this be closer to if it turns out too thin to be what is expected of a stout?
The OG was about 1.072 and the gravity 36 hours later was >1.02. It tastes great (like a black russian) but we'll see how it develops.
Busted Snout Stout
Foreign Extra Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/2/2008
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Me
Boil Size: 12.55 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 70 quart ice cube and keggle
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Grits (1.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.85 %
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.23 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1 lbs Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
3.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 28.7 IBU
1.00 oz Bullion [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.2 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.37 %
Bitterness: 40.9 IBU Calories: 333 cal/pint
Est Color: 35.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 26.00 lb
Sparge Water: 8.35 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
70 min Mash In Add 32.50 qt of water at 163.6 F 150.0 F
10 min Step Decoct 4.03 qt of mash and boil it 156.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 7.6 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Mashin' at 150F ain't gonna hurt ya, it's actually going to give you a reasonable balance between fermentability and residual sugars. The decoction you performed will help the maltiness even more. My bet's on A+ balanced beer. Nice OG by the way. :D

As far as racking onto boiled oatmeal for half of it... ummm... I don't know, actually. I wouldn't do it, personally, but if ya did, I guess if you strained out the liquid from the oat mash, and just racked onto the liquid, it could theoretically work. What about just adding some Maltodextrin instead?

Not real familiar with malto dextrin, I guess it's time to look it up on the wiki. I was wondering what it would be like from a stout faucet. I also racked about 3/4 of a gallon on to some pineapple juice (when I was brewing it I was thinking of what to name it and Tropical Stout Hanah came to mind). We'll see how that comes out- worst case I don't crack them open until everyone has had a few. :drunk:

Call me crazy, but I've been DREAMING of a citrusy tropical stout lately! I must've been brewing without enough ventilation last weekend ;)

Please do keep use (me?) posted. I think this recipe looks intriguing (not to mention the pineapple!) and would like to know how it comes out!

@ maltodextrin, it helps lend thickness in mouthfeel. So if you feel that it came out too thin, You can add 1/2 or even 1 lb of Maltodextrin (just boil in water, cool, and add in secondary, or even at bottling/kegging) to help "oomph" it back up. It's not exactly the same as mashing high, but it can help "patch up" a beer that comes out too thin.

+1 on the malodextrine...when i made my stout from AHB it was actually included in the kit if i remeber correctly....either way it looks like this is on track. Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

Back