5day,primary enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
I am doing a IPA with a OG.065 after 5 full days the fermenting has chilled out , Is it too early to toss in the secondary ? , I want to free up some primary buckets .

I am doing a IPA with a OG.065 after 5 full days the fermenting has chilled out , Is it too early to toss in the secondary ? , I want to free up some primary buckets .

If it's done, you could. I would always recommend waiting 2 days after fermentation is over, though, just to make sure any diacetyl or other yeast by-products have a chance to clean up.

Allot of people just ferment out in the primary if they are not adding anything to the beer (so Ive read) I just do not want to make the cell count to low by pulling off the cake and the beer not drop the rest of the way , And if there is foam head on beer in primary dose that mean its not done

If you hit your FG and it tastes good, you can just go ahead and bottle/keg. Despite the conventional wisdom here, primary fermenation is usually over in 3-4 days and the "cleanup" phase only takes a couple more. There's no reason to wait months on end for your beer.

That said, 5 days is a little quick. Give it 10-14. Preferably with a slight temperature rise to keep the yeast active.

I checked a Imperial stout and not my IPA , The stout was .075 and is now at .030 after the 5 days . I guess I can buy more buckets but I have 2 glass secondaries and would like to brew tomorrow so i really want a bucket free up but I wont be greedy in the way of my beer

Only initial fermentation is over in 2-4 days on average. Getting down to a stable FG takes longer than that. then letting it clean up & settle out more (clean & clear) for 3-5 days. Hurrying can make mistakes.
That's why we say patience is a virtue.

SOoooo.... will it still finish out in the secondary or will it loose to much cell count ,

A decent amount of yeast settles out at about 5 days,but not all. I leave it in primary the whole time. Even dry hop in primary.

If you're concerned about cell count, just suck up a little trub with the transfer. You'll get some more yeasties that way. Personally, if you're transferring this early I would think you have more than enough cells. I've bottled beer of that gravity that had sat in primary for over a month and they carbed up just fine, meaning even at 5 weeks there is a lot of yeast in the beer. If anything, you'll end up with a little more trub than you normally would get in secondary. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back