IPA Recipe Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
Alright, last night at a gathering my PA IPA had 3 individuals who drink barley beer all say it tasted like "real" beer! Always good news, especially for me since I can't remember what barley based beer even tastes like.

So I thought of starting a thread where we could share our tried and tested IPA recipes that were a success. Then if you are in the mood for brewing an IPA you could use this thread as a resource for recipes.

PA IPA

3 Gallon Batch

3lbs Briess White Sorghum Syrup
1lb 8OZ Brown Rice Syrup
8oz Belgian Candi Syrup--Dark
8oz Belgian candi Syrup--clear
8oz lactose

The above were all added at start of 60 minute boil

hops

boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet
boil 5 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade pellet

1 whirlfloc tablet (though this didn't seem to make a difference)

Safale 04

What IPAs have worked for you?

Grapefruit IPA:

3 gallon batch

1.5 lbs sorghum extract at 60 min
1 lb D-45 candi syrup at 60 min
4 oz maltodextrin at 60 min
1.5 lbs sorghum extact at flameout
12 oz buckwheat honey at flameout

0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial 10 min
0.3 oz Cascade 5 min
0.5 oz Centennial dry-hop 5 days in primary (didn't secondary, but should have, came out cloudy with lots of hop particles suspended in beer)
Zest of 1/2 a grapefruit at flameout

US-05

This one has impressed everyone who's tasted it. It seems to erase anyone's skepticism about me opening a gluten-free brewery, even those who drink regular beer.

Pacific Gyre IPA:

3 gallon batch

Mash: ~1 lb sweet potatoes, 2-hour step mash at 90-120-150-212, then sparge.

Boil:
2 lbs rice syrup solids at 60 min
1 lb D-45 candi syrup at 60 min
2 oz maltodextrin at 60 min
2 lbs sorghum extract at flameout
8 oz buckwheat honey at flameout

0.5 oz Willamette at 60 min
0.75 oz Chinook at 25 min
0.75 oz Chinook at 5 min
0.5 oz Chinook dry-hop, 5 days

Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast

This one's still carbing up, but I think it's even better than the grapefruit IPA. The chinook hops give a very complex citrus-smokey-earthy flavor, and there is minimal twang and a nice round sweetness to the malt profile. Once it's carbed and dried out a little, it's gonna be exceptional. I secondaried this one, lost a bit to the dry hops (shoulda soaked 'em in boiled water first) and lost about 4 bottles' worth because I forgot to re-stock my bottle caps (FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU--), but it came out clear and just a tad lighter than a Sierra Nevada in color.

Forgive me, but what does flameout refer to? Putting it in at the end of the boil and as you start to cool? Does this make for any less sanitary brew since you adding things that don,t get boiled? Our is it hot enough at the end?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Forgive me, but what does flameout refer to? Putting it in at the end of the boil and as you start to cool? Does this make for any less sanitary brew since you adding things that don,t get boiled? Our is it hot enough at the end? Thanks!

Yep, add when the flame goes out. No, it's not unsanitary. Pasteurization temperature is about 160°F. Things like honey and hops are naturally anti-microbial anyway, which is why dry-hopping is safe, and also why it's possible to make unboiled mead. Similarly, highly-concentrated liquid sugars, like barley malt and sorghum extract, naturally inhibit pathogenic growth. That's why you can store your malt syrup at room temperature pretty much indefinitely and it won't spoil or ferment.

This is mine. It's fairly simple, so probably a good place for new brewers (like me) to start. I based it off of spaced's recipe here. His blog has a few GF IPA recipes.

I only bottled on Monday, so don't know yet how the final product will be. But from the taste I snuck while bottling, it was already pretty good.

Brewed the Grapefruit IPA up today...a few slight changes. I added 1.5lbs of brown rice syrup and 1lb of local honey instead of the 10 oz. The grapefruit I think I'll add when I rack to secondary because I didn't have any on hand. It smelled great!

Latest posts

Back