10 Gallon Octoberfest Extract????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so 2 projects in the works for my next brew....

-Keggle Conversion
-15 Gallon Conical Ferm table

I hope to have these both done by fathers day. Ultimately I want to brew 10 gallons-ish of an Octoberfest. But I would be on my fourth batch and still contemplating BIAB or continuing with seperate vessels. But end result i want to go electric so i can brew inside and out of the kitchen.

So that said I have found a few recipes for 5 gallons of Octoberfest and my plan was just to double ingredients water amounts. Then put all of it into the 15 conical and let it do it's merry thing....

Thoughts or insights on locating a recipe or if this is just a bad idea and do 2 five gallon batches....Mainly because this is my fav beer so i want as much as possible!...hell i'd do 15 if i could

Do you have a method to control fermentation temps? Do you have a method to control lagering?

Other than those, make sure you pitch enough yeast, and you'll be fine.

Basement! have watched with the heat doesn't get over 70 degrees

That's ok for an ale, but no good for a lager. Most lagers need to ferment in the mid 50s and be lagered at near freezing. So, do you have controls in place to handle those perameters?

Otherwise, making a 10 gallon batch by doubling a 5 gallon recipe is just fine. Provided you can chill it.

Not at this point i don't.

Maybe i need to work to get a keezer together and then be able to at least lager 5 gallons.
But sh*t that just means i can brew it all year round. When i get to that point.

dam dam dam...that just makes me rethink my plans and going about it all wrong

DA-GONE!

:(

Sorry to burst your bubble. I am trying my hand at 10 gallons of hefe because it is a forgiving beer and doesn't take long to ferment. That will help me figure out the ins and outs of my keggles. Then I'll do a batch to test the next step, like controlled ferm temps. My theory is to only test one new thing at once. That way I'll still probably get decent beer and I'll have fewer unfamiliar factors to track.

Well, that could be converted to extract. I can't do it off the top of my head, it might have already been done in that thread

you can do an oktoberfest with ale yeast. Wyeast 1338 german ale yeast works good with it. weihenstephan 34/70 works great with it, too

Dug through that link looks like it was converted. Reading through the post will give me something to do at work while I drink my coffee

:p

Back