Will 1056 (American Ale) ever clear on its own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headfullahops

Reaction score
I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast for the first time a few weeks ago on my pale ale. Not that I obsess over the clarity of my brews, but I had been using 1335 British Ale II which came out of the secondary as a nice clear beer even after dry hopping and only got clearer in the keg when it got cold. I know that 1056 is a low flocculating strain but I bought my ingredients at my LHBS after what must have been a mid-summer rush! They usually have a great selection of everything, but the yeasties were cleared out that day. :cross:

I did a pale ale less than two weeks ago and used 1056. It fully attenuated and cleared up wonderfully. Try crash cooling the beer before kegging/bottling and that might help get some of the yeast out of suspension. Are you sure that it's the yeast? Did you use whirlfloc or irish moss? How fast do you chill your wort? All play a key role in the clarity of the finished product :)

I always end up with bright beers with a med-high flocculating yeast. I use whirfloc tabs and a CFC so I'm at pitching temp 5 minutes after flameout. I had it in primary for 7 days,, secondary on dry hop for 4 days and kegged/fridged it 2-3 days ago. I'm sure it will clear up significantly after a few days at 38-40˚. I was just wondering out loud.

Sounds like your process is sound, so who knows what happened. Did you do a starter or just smack the pack and toss it in? It's ironic because my LHBS only had Wyeast on hand and I grabbed some 1056 knowing that the attenuation was Low-Medium. I fully expected a somewhat cloudy beer going into the keg but to my suprise it was crystal clear. Go figure!

Just smacked the pack. Again though, never been an issue before. It was only a few days ago that it hit the cold temps.

Back