growing hops in FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
Now that I'm getting back into all grain brewing. I am interested in starting a hop garden next year during the planting season. I was wondering if anyone here has experience growing hops in FL or has any tips on growing hops in the FL area.

Ken

Heat, Hot, Cold really have nothing to do with a good crop of Hops. It's Light, Light, Light. Esp. How many hours You get during the growing season. Northern climes(45th ish) are ideal for setting Hop burrs. South Africa tried to grow Hops and had to use Giant grow lights to simulate longer days.

Thanks for the info. Here in Tampa we have pretty long days during the spring time, around 12h of sunlight. I'm trying to see if it would be plausable to try andd grow a few vines for personal use in this area. After I do a lot of research into the topic I will probably try planting a few rhizomes next year during the planting season.

Ken

I've got some Cascade growing here, near Gainesville. Planted in April, several are over 10', now. I may have to put some extensions on my trellis, to get to 20'!! These are first year bines.

pick thanks for the info. Ur not that much north of me. I will be deffinately planting some hops next season.

Latest posts

Back