French farmhouse ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riv

Reaction score
Newbie here,

About to do my first French farmhouse ale...anything particular I should pay attention to/advice? Using wlp072 yeast.

Thanks

I'm using now in a saison of my own.

They like somewhat warm temps, in the low 70's. It's also supposedly a slow producer so expect to leave it for a month in primary. I've read though where it tends to get stuck, and sometimes you need to crank the heat up into the 80's on week four of fermentation.

I just pulled a sample of mine (brewed on May 5th.) WOW, it's down to around 1.005, I've never had a beer finish so low before.

FYI, don't panic when the krausen falls and you check on it, it's a "chunky" yeast. There are a lot of floaties bobbing up and down on the surface, like yeast iceburghs.

But the beer itself is clear of anything, though slightly hazy. Mine is a darker saison. It's kinda like the color of brandy.

I'm thinking of racking some or adding some figs and or dates to it now....

Hi, thanks for the info!

Just finished brewing..my og is 1056 and it said that it should be 1059...what does that mean for my brew?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the info!

Just finished brewing..my og is 1056 and it said that it should be 1059...what does that mean for my brew?

Thanks

Disaster! Take the bucket/carboy on the next voyage in your vehicle. Proceed to throw it at the first car that angers you.

Or you're fine. Just a few points low. An ever so slightly smaller beer. You decide. :tank:

Back