Belgian Blonde has "lemony" sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

bottled my Belgian Blonde four days ago. At that point it tasted really citrusy sour and was almost overbearing. It's mellowed in the bottle over four days and the brew is drinkable but not ideal. If this was bacterial, wouldn't the taste be worse from bottling to now? I pitched my yeast while my wort was still in the high 70's, do you think this is what led to what I think is a lemony-tasting ester? It also tasted like that, but much stronger, when I transferred to secondary. I'm new, thanks for your help.

:tank:

Give it more time in the bottle. 4 days it not near enough time for the beer to bottle age, much less carb up. It's a possibility that you have some ester's going on from high fermentation temps, but those tend to mellow out with time. If you have an infection, you will likely developed a ring in the top of the bottle where the beer is. Just be patient and I am sure your brew will be awesome!

hmmmmm..... are you sure it's lemon ? I know it's a big difference but most belgian yeast strains have a clove / bannana flavor aroma that at higher temps will be verrrrryyyy pronounced. What types of hops did you use ? Sorachi ace has a very lemon flavor and aroma.

Back