Kolsch Recipe - Half Regular, Half Grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
I was looking into doing an Extract Kolsch for the summer months and was wanting to do a 5 gallon batch, then split it into half normal Kolsch and then "dry hop" with some fruit for the other half. Ill post the ingredients for the regular in a following post.

Would I be going about this right by adding the zest into a secondary fermenter a couple of days before kegging? Ive read where citrusy scents/flavors dissipate pretty quickly. I have a small bag of grapefruit zest I picked up from the LHBS and that would be what i am using.

I would think just a couple days wouldn't be enough. Although, I've never used fruit or zest at all. I'd likely put it in for about a week, unless I found other threads that suggested otherwise.

Also, Kolsch is one of my favorite brews I've made. I did an extract honey kolsch last spring. This spring I did two batches of all-grain and added some pilloncillo (mexican brown sugar) to one of them. Super delicious all around.

Are you using the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast or a different one?

Also, I just noticed your location. Congrats on your newly legal homebrew status!

I assume it is pretty warm where you are. If you have a way to control temps, it might not matter. But when I've used the 2565, I've kept it right around 58-60 F. I don't know at all how it reacts to warmer fermenting temps. My guess is that it would give you more of the banana esters. I'm not sure how that might pair with the grapefruit flavors you were planning on adding.

I just bought a GE 7 cu ft deep freezer yesterday. A Ranco Dual Stage temp controller is arriving today so Im good on that end.

And yes, its starting to get hot. Part of my house is underground so it stays about 72 down there in the summer and about 60 in the winter. Ive read where temp control is probably the best improvement in your beer. With the "depths of hell"-like days in Alabama coming up, I figured its time to get one.

Back