Pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProstheticHead

Reaction score
I brewed my True Brew Porter extract kit on 1-1-13. I posted in another thread about my 85 degree yeast pitch (too high I know). Anyways, my OG was 1.044, and I had excellent activity within 24 hours. But since then, no visible signs of fermentation, and I've been at 1.020 for over a week now. My target FG is 1.012. Any advice here? I don't know if pitching more yeast is recommended. Thanks in advance.

Thinking about racking to secondary today, I wasn't going to, but I feel like this beer needs to sit longer, and it's been in the primary for almost 3 weeks now.

SO you pitched at 85', but what have you been fermenting at since then? Have you tried to rouse the yeast by gently swirling or stirring (sanitize!) the fermenter?

Take another hydrometer reading. It may still be at 1.020. After 3 weeks in the primary you should be good to go. Bottle that sucker!

Was your OG of 1.044 expected or measured? If measured, what was the expected based on the recipe?

As mentioned above, 1.020 is a common ending point for a lot of extract, early brews...but with a 1.044 OG I would still expect things to get lower, which is why I am questioning the OG.

The OG was 1.044 which was right on par with the recipe...update though, after swirling the wort a bit, I measured the gravity a few days later and it was at 1.014, so she's still active, but since it had been in the fermenter for almost 3 weeks, I went ahead and racked to secondary to let it sit a little longer. No sense in rushing at this point.

not sure how anyone can speculate anything without knowing what type of yeast it was?

Latest posts

Back