My 1st "Wet" experience!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyko

Reaction score
So I used wet hops in my brew for the 1st time ever and I had an overactive yeast experience. I had a blow off tube set up thank you very much! For the 1st 3 days I had more gunk than ever. I had to change the pitcher twice and a heck of a mess to clean up once.

Is this normal?

Sure I had wet yeast & a starter but WOW! That's a 1st! :D

I have yet to taste this Orange Blond but already I'm stoked! :rockin:

I don't think amount/type of hops affects fermentation much. I'd look to temp/pitch-rate/aeration/wort gravity, etc first.

I don't think amount/type of hops affects fermentation much. I'd look to temp/pitch-rate/aeration/wort gravity, etc first.

Agreed. I doubt the hops caused the abundant fermentation. Some people theorize that excess (if you can call it that) hopping might actually REDUCE fermentation due to the compounds in the hops sticking to the yeast cells.

Yeast strains can act differently from each other as well. Did you do anything different? Aerate better? Different yeast? Bigger starter? Different temps?

My 1st "Wet" experience!

OK...I'm going to have to hit this softball lob.....

I had my first wet experience at about 10, and have since learned that the gunk is absolutely normal :)

OK, OK, OK,

Made you look!

Yeah, it was a different yeast. Something I rarely use. White Labs. :p That stuff is turbo charged!

I have my 2nd batch of that going in a starter right now.................................................. Oh my gosh, I better be prepared.

Latest posts

Back