First Recipe Attempt. IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys... First attempt at my own recipe so trying to put together a simple IPA. Extract with steeping grains. Any thoughts or suggestions

1 lb Crystal 75L Malt
9 lb Extra Pale Extract (LME)

2 oz Citra hops (60 mins)
1 oz Falconers Flight (15 mins)
1 oz Cascade (1 mins)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Fermented with White Labs California Ale V WLP051

Hey guys... First attempt at my own recipe so trying to put together a simple IPA. Extract with steeping grains. Any thoughts or suggestions

1 lb Crystal 75L Malt
9 lb Extra Pale Extract (LME)

2 oz Citra hops (60 mins)
1 oz Falconers Flight (15 mins)
1 oz Cascade (1 mins)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Fermented with White Labs California Ale V WLP051

Looks very good just like it is, you could add a lb of Amber Malt extract for a little complexity, but other than that it looks like a SOLID IPA! You might also consider hop bursting, IE adding all your hops at the 30 min or less mark. You may have to up the amounts a bit, but i personally love what hop bursting brings to a beer. :mug:

So that's hop bursting!? That's the hop schedule I came up with for my IPA,my 1st. I did 1.5 oz Columbus @ 25mins,counted down 8mins 30seconds. Then added 1.5oz Nugget,counted down 8:30 again. Then 1.5oz of whole leaf Cascade for remaining time to flame out.
I saved .5oz of each for dry hopping. That gives 6oz total! A certain member on the cooper's forum got a bit hacked at me for 1)wasting so much hops,since 2)bittering is @ 30 minutes on down with those hops. Guess I should've just told him to come here & study a bit.
Are we really that far up to the "cutting edge"? Apparently,we are. Geez,the flaming I take for new ideas. Well,some new,some new to me...even though I thought them up myself. I find that some have been done,& I didn't know the term used was what I happened to have done. Cool.
I got that amber color,lightly toasty sort of flavor,which I think is like DFH IPA's,by using 3lbs Munton's plain amber DME,& the cooper's OS Draught can. I can get either my Sunset Gold APA,or BuckIPA just by altering the hop profile. How's that for versatile?

What are the advantages of hop bursting and how much more hops do you add. Dont plan on doing it this batch but maybe in the future.

Looks solid. When are you planning on adding the LME? For hoppier beers, I like to add most of it late in the boil. Helps with hop utilization and keeps the LME from darkening the beer too much.

Hop bursting give you a more mellow bitterness and is supposed to give you more aroma/flavor from the hops.

Have you calculated the ibus for your recipe? 2oz oc citra should get you pretty high I would think for as small of a beer as it is.

I dont have the numbers on me now. But i was thinking bout cutting the citra down to maybe 1.5 oz and maybe using the extra .5oz for dry hopping. I was also going to do the LME preboil but a late addition looks promising as i believe beersmith had it coming up pretty dark for an IPA.

The late add helps alot with that. Honestly, when I use LME, I usually use it along with DME and add all of the LME late. I usually do 4 gal boils for 5 gal batches, so every bit of utilization I can get helps. And the lighter, less caramel flavored beer is nice too.
I do agree that your beer looks pretty light for such a large volume. I'm sure it'll be very light in a glass!

Back