Dark Honey Exp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
American Ale
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
?
Color
25-30
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
If I were to do this over I would defiantly cut the German Brewers Gold down to .5 oz
This brew I completely made up because I had quite a bit of honey fall into my lap, after making mead I wanted to make something that was not a nut brown (which I dislike). So I wanted something dark and malty but with honey in it. This is my first attempt to making something on my own... so advance with caution.

Ferementables

1 lbs Light DME (60 min)
1 lbs Rice Dry Syrup (60 min)
3 Lbs Plain Dark Extra DME (60 min)
44 Oz Honey (Flame out)

Specialty Grains

1 lbs Pale ale Malt (30 min @ -160)
+- .5 lbs of Carmel and Black pattent Malt (30 min @ -160)

Hops

1 oz German Brewers Gold (60 Min)
1 oz East Kents Golding (30 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)

Extra

1 Cracked Nutmeg (7 min)

Bottled with 5 oz of Honey

Est 8.5%

Notes: @ bottling it was a malty IPA like w/o honey flavor. but it was very sweet in a different way than malt. After the bottling honey addition, it kicked the honey flavor up quite a bit.

I bottled on 11/19/11 and I bottled tonight with a crew of my buddies and it was the first time they tasted it and everyone liked it.

Hey, I would like to make this. But what is "rice dry syrup"? I asked around at the home brew shop and they've never heard of it.

Thanks

Thats what the bag said but its an adjunct that is rice sugar. The whole point of the rice sugar is to add fermentables without body. So if you could find a sugar that does the same thing then i would use it. Im hoping to make this again in a month. Please let me know how it turns out. If you don't like bitter beer I would cut the 1oz of the bittering hops down to .75-.60 oz

Good luck

oh thanks. i'll look for it but just use table sugar if i can't find it. does the honey add to the body? i'm guessing it does since it's so viscous.

I will make it next weekend so I'll let ya know in two months or so when i drink it.

i'll go with the full ounce of brewers gold. it's fairly low AA and I loves me some IPA so I won't mind the bitterness. i imagine the sweet honey will balance that out anyway.

So the corn sugar you should be able to find at your lhbs. It's the same stuff that you would bottle with. Table sugar will work as well. The honey is an interesting ingredient. I enjoy putting it in beer, but it will dry out the beer a little because of all the simple sugars in it.
On top of that make sure you do a late addition, like 5 min before end of boil. That will preserve a bit of the honey essence.

Let us know how it turns out.

Back