Stirring during mash-in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk025

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm pretty new to the all grain business and have been getting some pretty low numbers while batch sparging (efficiency and missing gravity points) I've been looking for the amount of time I should stir the mash when I first add the strike water to the grains. Most of the time I read people just say to stir really well but I'm wondering if it's like 1 minute, 30 seconds, or even 2-5 minutes? I usually stir for probably 30 seconds to ensure all the grain is wet and not sticking together. Also how vigorously should I stir? Thanks

I add enough strike water to get the grains wet then stir to get out the dough balls. Then add remaining strike water and stir thoroughly without aerating. Next put the lid on the 5 gallon cooler and wrap with big towel if it's a bit cool outside.

I'm getting 80+ extraction efficiency consistently but results will vary.

I add the strike water first and then scoop grain into the mash tun - sprinkling the grain to spread it out evenly. Every few scoops I use my mash paddle to make sure the grains are all getting wet and not clumping. By the time all of the grain is in the mash tun, everything has been stirred up pretty nicely. I still stir for another minute or so and then close up the mash tun.

I don't know that there is a set time you should stir. Just stir till all the grains are wet and not clumped into dough balls. I know some people stir once or twice during the mash. How long are you mashing? Also,what is your batch sparge process? That may be the culprit as well.

I stir exactly 2 minutes each time with a paint stirrer on power drill. No dough balls. Will stir longer if I am over my temp. I think the key is to have a semi-consistent time for stirring so its one less variable in temperature loss to hit mash temp.

Usually hit my temp spot on if I didn't screw up any inputs into beersmith.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try stirring until the mash is the same temp all over. I've noticed my mash having different temperatures based on where I stuck the thermometer but kinda figured it didn't matter much

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try stirring until the mash is the same temp all over. I've noticed my mash having different temperatures based on where I stuck the thermometer but kinda figured it didn't matter much

Besides making aure the temps are equalized, you also make sure the grust is well hydrated when you do that.

I found this totally cool app called Brewing Assistant, and I used it for the first time on my last brew day. It gives reminders during the mash to stir, which I have found really helps with efficiency. I mean its not going to make or break you but should get you a few extra points....

I found this totally cool app called Brewing Assistant, and I used it for the first time on my last brew day. It gives reminders during the mash to stir, which I have found really helps with efficiency. I mean its not going to make or break you but should get you a few extra points....

This is one of those things I just can't figure out. I've tried stirring the mash and all that happens is I lose temp. No efficiency gain. Maybe I crush finer than you do so I find no benefit to stirring during the mash?

Add the grain to the strike water. Not the water to the grain. Add some grain, stir. Add some grain, stir. I don't have problems with doughballs. And get 75-80% eff.

Do as the last post said. When everything is broken up and moist let it set for two minutes for the temp to stabilize. Then every twenty minutes or so stir it, just to turn things over. When you batch sparge, vorlauf, drain slowly, add water, stir, let rest for ten minutes, vorlauf, drain. If you do multiple batch sparges repeat until all sparging is done. I regularly get upper 70's to mid 80's.

Check your water pH and grind if you still have problems.

I stir till I hit my rest temp, check your calibration of your hydrometer as well, I was getting lower efficiency, till I found the budget hydrometer I HAD was .004 low. Also no need to stir during the rest, just before vorlauf

This is one of those things I just can't figure out. I've tried stirring the mash and all that happens is I lose temp. No efficiency gain. Maybe I crush finer than you do so I find no benefit to stirring during the mash?

Exactly. I used to stir during the 60 minute sach rest that appeared to only result in temperature loss. Took Denny's advice to stir but once and lost at most 1 degree F. With that variable under control moved onto other aspects that further increased efficiency...like crush.

Latest posts

Back