Washing Yeast / Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
Ok so I just read this thread on washing yeast and am planning to do so as soon as I rack my pumpkin ale off. I understand the process fine but am wondering this: is the washed yeast ready to pitch in the future? Or do I need to add some DME to my mason jar of yeast after I decant some water before pitching?

I'd assume by pulling my yeast before I need it and letting it warm up and adding some DME I'd be able to make sure the yeasties are still good. But i've never done it before so figured might as well ask

This question is answered in the Yeast Washing sticky... but, Yes, you should always make a starter for washed yeast. I decant most of the "water" off the top of my yeast in the mason jar, then make a starter, then pitch the washed yeast in the starter like I would a smack pack.

And you probably want to do the starter in a vessel larger than the mason jar - something like a growler or Erlenmeyer flask.

I've used 4 cans of 1056 that I washed from a previous batch by decanting most of the water, shaking the yeast into solution and pouring into a 1 to 2 liter starter. You could probably get away with not using a starter in a really small beer, but making one ensures you have active yeast, and ratchets up the cell count to prevent underpitching.

wow I completely overlooked that...thanks for the quick response tho! I would probably use the larger mason jar for starter to save on equipment for the time being

I've used 4 cans of 1056 that I washed from a previous batch by decanting most of the water, shaking the yeast into solution and pouring into a 1 to 2 liter starter. You could probably get away with not using a starter in a really small beer, but making one ensures you have active yeast, and ratchets up the cell count to prevent underpitching.

Good to know! 1056 is what I'll be washing

If you have a brewery or brewpub nearby, growlers are usually free when you buy the beer. Free and filled with beer!! Can't beat that! But a large mason jar will work fine too. Cheers!

Completely forgot about that! I guess I have a reason to make a pit stop on the way home from work now lol...then i'll have to deal with that problem of all the beer in my growler...man this is gonna be rough =)

I had the same problem. I brought home a growler of an awesome IPA and SWMBO only wanted a little bit. What, oh what, was I to do with about 3 1/2 pints of that awesome IPA ...

Latest posts

Back