So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I didn't try to brew today, we had 25 mph gusts today in Massachusetts. Built a collar for my keezer instead.

This is the exact reason I want to go E-HERMs in my basement; for now though, the partial boil AG on the stove top slakes my brew-lust.

This is the exact reason I want to go E-HERMs in my basement; for now though, the partial boil AG on the stove top slakes my brew-lust.

I'm eyeballing that too, but a massive propane burner was a big step up from the stovetop. Not bad as an interim step, but I can't take many more of these cold weather brew days.

DrunkleJon said:
How large are you asking about. We have people on this site who brew from 1 gallon to multiple BBL batches. Some people here have gone pro and brew commercially.

Hi I am starting to use the brewferm mini kegs for convenience of storing but In only getting four off a five gallon brew. I'm looking to start brewing to get around ten, ten pint mini kegs. So around 12 to 15 gallons. Also do you know of a good place to get bulk grains and ingredients?

Thanks very much

Hi I am starting to use the brewferm mini kegs for convenience of storing but In only getting four off a five gallon brew. I'm looking to start brewing to get around ten, ten pint mini kegs. So around 12 to 15 gallons. Also do you know of a good place to get bulk grains and ingredients?

Thanks very much

Well 10-15 gallon batches are not that bad. Just scale your recipes and you should be pretty close. As for bulk grains, you can check out the Group Buys part of this forum and see if anyone in your area is working on one (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/). Addiitionally some people introduce themselves to the brewers at local brewpub/microbreweries/craft breweries and can at times order grains by the sack through them. Local Homebrew Stores will also usually sell by the sack for cheaper than the 1-5 lb increments.

DrunkleJon said:
Well 10-15 gallon batches are not that bad. Just scale your recipes and you should be pretty close. As for bulk grains, you can check out the Group Buys part of this forum and see if anyone in your area is working on one (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/). Addiitionally some people introduce themselves to the brewers at local brewpub/microbreweries/craft breweries and can at times order grains by the sack through them. Local Homebrew Stores will also usually sell by the sack for cheaper than the 1-5 lb increments.

Thanks for your help. just need to find equipment with a bigger volume.

Brewed the Spiced Winter Ale. It was -4°C out. Had trouble getting the mash going and had to thaw the plate chiller with boiling water, but we hit our numbers and its into the fermenter.

Just finished brewing a belgian dark strong ale with paradise seeds and a pound of leftover roasted punpkin. Hope it's good!

Melana said:
Aaaahhhhh my faucets are frozen.... Darn it all to heck and back....

Outdoor spigots? Try a little boiling water. Indoor spigots? You might have bigger issues. I hope all turns out well and the worst you have to deal with is a missed brew day.

Just cooling a scotch ale right now. Started at 5 this morning, 90 minute boil with side reduction, everything seemed to go smoothly... so something is wrong somewhere in the universe... It must be Melana's frozen spigot!

Brewed yesterday in MA, sustained 10-15 mph winds all day and the temps never got out of the mid 20s. That being said we did a full mash in a converted keggle with minimal insulation and were able to keep our temps in check. Three times during the mash we lit the burner and recirculated by hand (no ball valve on the out side of my pump right now). Starsan was freezing on contact with pretty much everything and the burners struggled to keep us at boil due to the wind, but it was a great day.

DrWill said:
Outdoor spigots? Try a little boiling water. Indoor spigots? You might have bigger issues. I hope all turns out well and the worst you have to deal with is a missed brew day.

If you have a faucet style valve you should be ok, same with running from an inside valve. you just need to keep the water running a bit so it can't freeze up. Using a black industrial strength hose to help keep it from freezing helps too. Your groundwater should be at least in the low fifties still, so keep the hose under 50 feet and be sure to use it often and you should be ok. Leave it in a sunny spot if possible too!

Doing a simple Honey Wiezen for my BMC loving friends.. Cheers.

image-4215044530.jpg

Oginme said:
Just cooling a scotch ale right now. Started at 5 this morning, 90 minute boil with side reduction, everything seemed to go smoothly... so something is wrong somewhere in the universe... It must be Melana's frozen spigot!

All is right in the world... Just fired up the kettle. Bring it Mother Nature!

I just finish cleaning-up after today's brew session. It was a rye ale with columbus and cascade hops. It isn't a huge beer (1.054) but I expect it won't be subtle. The wort looked and smelled fantastic. I'll post the recipe if it doesn't suck.

Just finished cleaning up after my brew day. 8 gallons of Brown Porter in the fermenter.

Now, I'm out of space. 8 gallons of Chrostmas Ale in Fermenter #1. 5 gallons of Cider in Carboy #1. Now 8 gallons of Brown Porter on Fermenter #2.

I have one more Carboy (6 gallons), but no more fermenting space.

Oh, Sweetheart! Can I please get another fridge and make another temperature controller? ;:D

Brewing first ever IPA tomorrow. Our overall third batch (Red Ale and Imperial Stout).

No need for an airlock on a starter, you want the oxygen, a piece of foil sprayed with starsan is all you need, you are giving it a regular shake aren't you?

Thanks for your help ChefRex. I do give the flask a shake often.

I began using starters a few years back when my LHBS ran a "Yeast starter special".
Since then I have read many comments on this site and elsewhere that the yeast require oxygen to do their thing.
I know the tin foil trick is all that is needed. but for some reason, maybe it's that I just like seeing the bubbles in the air lock, I keep doing it this way....it works. :mug:

Latest posts

Back