Short Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkrampy

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had just started my 3rd batch of beer; a belgian pale ale. Temps are around 69f

i found that the beer only seemed to ferment for about a day and half. This is the shortest brew period i have encountered.

I started it on Saturday night, it was pretty rapid all day Sunday and continued to Monday. When i got home on Monday after work i found that it had completely stopped. i sat there for about 5 minutes and didnt see one bubble come out of the air lock.

I guess my question is, is this normal? what will i expect when this is finished?

Thanks in advanced

Travis

Certainly not a definite sign of any problem. I've had this happen before too. Fermentations can finish within 24-48 hours. Often the bubbles your getting after 3 days are just residual/lagging CO2 coming out of the beer. Plus, remember that you can't really use your air lock as a gauge of fermentation. Get out your hydrometer and confirm the status of fermentation.

Don't worry about it, air lock is not sign of fermentation. Just leave it alone. I don't even check anymore, just wait a few weeks and bottle. Most light beers I ferment 10 days check gravity to be sure and bottle for 10 days. Rdwhahb.

Initial fermentation can be very fast. Check the hydrometer reading for a few days and if it is steady it is done. Taste the samples. If they taste good, you are probably good to package. Most of the time the samples will taste a little "green" and you will benefit from 2-3 weeks in the fermenter so the yeast can clean up after themselves and give you a better tasting brew.

all the air lock does is let CO2 out and keep air from getting in.

sometimes yeast does it own thing on its own schedule. Your hydrometer will tell you.

Thanks all, i appreciate it. Unfortunately i forgot to take a hydrometer reading in the beginning. i suppose i can take one now and wait 2-3 weeks and see if it changes.

Thanks again!

Back