Bottling my first brew tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubenr3

Reaction score
Bottling my first home brew tonight. I'm so excited, like I'm having a baby.

And then stuffing it into 40 12 oz bottles and sticking it in a closet for another 2 weeks.

:ban:

Congrats on your first brew....

If you did a 5 gallon batch you should get more like 48-54 bottles. Second, leave it in the closet for 3 weeks and then put a few in the fridge for a couple of days.

Are you brewing from a kit? They probably gave you too much sugar. Try and estimate the actual volume of beer you'll bottle (accounting for yeast/trub you'll be leaving in the bottom of your fermentor) and punch it into a bottling sugar calculator.

If you just dump in the whole 4.5 or 5 oz, your first beer will be all gushers like mine was.

...and, of course, congrats! :mug:

Bottling my first home brew tonight. I'm so excited, like I'm having a baby.

And then stuffing it into 40 12 oz bottles and sticking it in a closet for another 2 weeks.

:ban:

Yeah, you forgot to mention anything else other than "I'm having a baby".

Speaking of 40, I just dialed up another 40+ score. English IPA. So good!

But that may never mean anything to you.

Meanwhile, enjoy!

I've never had 4.5-5 ounces of sugar make gushers before. Maybe your beer wasn't quite done fermenting yet? Or infected. 4.5-5oz sugar produces a normal range of VCO2 (volumes of co2). Also,leaving the beers at room temp for 4 weeks & 1 week fridge time can fix that sort of thing.

I wouldnt stress the gushers to awfully much.. Now where I run into potentials.. With this 4 gallon batch using 5 gallons worth of priming sugars will over carb beers. Or lie others have said inected / not fully fermented beers will do this

Back