240V 50A Outlet Installed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleMatt

Reaction score
I just installed a 50A 240V receptacle (RV outlet). No one ever told me that it would be a major PITA to work with 6 AWG wire.

Anyway, I installed a GFCI breaker. The instructions say to test it every month. would it wear out sooner if I tested once a week? My thoughts are, only turn on the breaker when I'm going to brew. After brewing, I'd test it and shut it off. I don't think I'll be brewing once a week but I'm just using that as the worst (best) case scenario... I wish I could brew once a week.

I just ordered my controller, SSR and RTD. I can't wait to give it a try.

I have been running one on my hot tub for 5 years, and I don't think it had been tested since I installed it.

If you test it will trip and you will have to reset the breaker. Kind of a PITA in my opinion.

I have been running one on my hot tub for 5 years, and I don't think it had been tested since I installed it.

If you test it will trip and you will have to reset the breaker. Kind of a PITA in my opinion.

Please explain how resetting a GFCI is a PITA. I can't imagine anything simpler, but maybe I'm missing something.

Try playing with #1 wire if you think 6 is bad. It is recommended that you cycle the breakers in your house once a year but who does that? But really I would turn it on test it then use it rather than test it after you are done using it.

He said he installed a ground fault breaker not a outlet. The outlets push to reset at the outlet. The breaker you have to go to the breaker box, somewhere else and reset it. My breaker box is on the other side of the house and not the easiest to get to.

My outlet is only 2 feet away from the panel. It's really no trouble to turn off the breaker or test it. I was just wondering if turning it on/off (or testing) once a week would wear it out and cause it to stop working properly.

My other thought is just to leave it on and buy a cover for my outlet. I don't want to rely on GFCI as the only means of protection. My wife, dog and future children are more important than brewing.

IMHO there is absolutely no problem in tripping the GFCI breaker. My design for an E-Stop circuit on the brew panel does just that. The breaker should be just fine with this process.

P-J

Thanks P-J

I've seen your schematic with the e-stop shunting a small current to ground. I just assumed you would rarely use the e-stop.

I'll turn off the breaker between brews to keep things safe... those 50 amp receptacles have large openings.

Latest posts

Back