Ball valve vs. Gate valve for MLT, have question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hello I am in the process of building a Cheap MLT out of a 5 gallon Igloo cooler( got it for free) I was going to put a valve in it with a stainless braid for batch sparging. I am trying to build it without spending any money. My grandfather is a retired plumber and has boxes of new all brass gate valves and buckets of brass fittings, as well as hoses with the stainless braid on it. But does not have any ball valves. Any reason why all the setups I see here use ball valves?Is it just a cost factor since the ball valves are half the price of the gate valves? Can I use the gate valve? Also is 12" long enough for the stainless braid? Thanks :)

It's just a matter of a quick quarter turn to open it vs. a few full turns on a gate valve. Also, you want to make sure that gate doesn't rely on a rubber seal because it's likely it will leach some flavors at sparge temps. Yes, 12" is plenty for a braid.

I use gate valves on my RIMS and prefer them over ball valves. IMO, globe valves (these have the rubber seal) are the ones to avoid.

Thanks for the reply. I took the valve apart and there is a rubber seal but it will never contact the wort. With the gate closed water has no chance to get up there. Even when it's opened since there is no real pressure it won't ever reach the seal. I checked by filling with water and UV dye. Checked with the blacklight and no contact. So I Put it together and almost finished it. The only parts I did not have are 2 All stainless clamps for the SS braid. Thanks everyone for the Help!

Back