lead free solder in the kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citabria

Reaction score
I am about to build a copper thermowell for my kettle. I want to seal the end of the crimped end of the copper tubing with lead free solder. Is there any issue with using lead free tin instead of silver solder. For copper I do not see any advantage to using silver. Thanks!

Hi

How hot are you going to get your gizmo? Silver solder has a higher temperature rating than normal solder. If it's going in anything that's going to boil, silver solder would probably be a good idea. Not absolutely needed though.

Bob

The melting point of lead free solder is 400F. I will be well below that. More worried about any other issues like durability.

Just go to HomeDepot and get this kit:
Stay-Brite Kit with Flux

It is a Silver/Tin solder that can be used for your application as well as for soldering Stainless Steel. The melting point is 430°. The solder is very strong. No worries.
A low melting, (430Â degree F), tin-silver alloy in convenient kit form. Kit contains 1/2 oz. (3/64 In. diameter), wire and 1/2 oz. Stay Clean liquid flux. Excellent choice for all applications. Suitable for food contact, (NSF Standard 51). Meets ASTM B32.

Hope this helps

Just go to HomeDepot and get this kit:
Stay-Brite Kit with Flux

It is a Silver/Tin solder that can be used for your application as well as for soldering Stainless Steel. The melting point is 430°. The solder is very strong. No worries.

Hope this helps

I'm jealous. The only Harris solder sold in Canada is in larger (1lb-ish) weights, expensive to buy that much. HD doesn't carry that here.

The melting point of lead free solder is 400F. I will be well below that. More worried about any other issues like durability.

Hi

In normal use, you never get solder anywhere near it's melting point. It gets *very* week (plastic) long before it melts. In the plastic state it will crack and chunks can fall off into the brew. The usage temperature ratings on the solder take this into account.

Bob

Back