New Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just built a new fermentation chamber out of a 3.5 Cu Ft chest freezer. It will hold a 6.5 gal carboy and a 3 gallon carboy simultaneously or 3 3-gallon carboys.

I'm using a ceramic reptile heater as my heat source and obviously the freezer as my cooling source. I have a fan to keep the air inside moving. I'm testing and calbrating everything now. I want to do my first brew in it next weekend.

I've never used a fermentation chamber before. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Some things I've been thinking about are:

The thermostat is free hanging. I've seen people put them in water, or at least enclose them. I know others use a thermowell. Is that something I should think about?

How do I account for the heat from fermentation. Since I do not have a thermowell I'm assuming I should set the fermentation chamber temp lower than my target tempurature for a few days. Any advice?

Any thing else I need to think about?

Appreciate the help.

I have a similar setup, with the temperature probe free hanging. I use the stick-on theremometers on the fermentor and adjust the temp controller regularly throughout fermentation to keep it where I want it. I would think that using a thermowell would allow a more hands free approach, but I don't mind an excuse to peek.

A lot of people will tape the probe to the side of the fermentation vessel and insulate it from the outside air using some bubble wrap or something else.

Latest posts

Back