AHS yeast....unknown condition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatchinZs

Reaction score
First and foremost...I bought the ice pack but after 4.5 days in shipping no ice pack is going to make it, lesson learned.

I don't have any DME to create a starter so I'm not sure how to make sure that the WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast will still be viable.

Any suggestions?

If you don't have any DME then what are you going to make your brew with?

I think the yeast will still be fine.

I just went through the same thing. I got a second batch of yeast until i could get DME for my starter. I figured a little stale ingredients was worth it instead of having a batch with bad yeast...Who knows if mine were alive and dead.

It was 106 when my yeast arrived...It's sitting in the fridge and I'll use it again now that i have a starter.

The Hoegaarden clone kit from AHS comes with LME or at least it seems like the tub has LME in it.
Any specific instructions on using that?

CatchinZs said:
The Hoegaarden clone kit from AHS comes with LME or at least it seems like the tub has LME in it.
Any specific instructions on using that?

The tinned LME in your kit will be fine for a starter, Just keep the rest of it in a jar until you brew.

I've tried a few Hoegaarden clones using extracts and the flavour can get quite similar, the colour is a bit darker than real Hoegaarden though.

You don't need to use finnings or a secondary to clear the beer, since Hoegaarden is supposed to be a bit yeasty. Also swirl the yeast around a bit in the bottle so it ends up in your glass as the yeast is part of the Hoegaarden flavour.

Happy Brewing!!

Well, according to Beersmith, 4 ounces LME in a quart of water would give you an og of 1.036, which seems about right to me. I'd boil the water, add the LME and boil briefly.

Yooper Chick said:
Well, according to Beersmith, 4 ounces LME in a quart of water would give you an og of 1.036, which seems about right to me. I'd boil the water, add the LME and boil briefly.

That would be the way I would go.

Situations like this also underscore the utility of keeping some dry brewing yeast in the fridge as a backup if you don't have a LHBS.

So I could do this in a vessel that holds the volume of liquid and have a lid of loosely fitting aluminum foil to prevent contamination or do I need an airlock.

I've done a search but it seems like the jury is still out on whether an air lock is required.

Professor Frink said:
Syrup of table sugar might give you off flavors, but if you don't have DME you can probably use corn sugar.

Not a good idea. You don't want to get the yeast acclimated to fermenting simple sugars, they'll have a more difficult time when you introduce them to the wort.

Next time you make an order, but some extra DME to keep around for starters. It doesn't go bad, and you really should be in the habit of making a starter whenever you use liquid yeast.

I have a LHBS a few blocks away from me so I think I'm just going to go pick up some extra light DME to make my starter.
His prices are high but I know for a fact that he has the extra light in stock.

So what is the consensus on "to air lock or not to air lock" the starter?

I do all the time just to take the question out of the equation. If you have the airlock use it. If not make do with the aluminum foil.

- WW

I never use an airlock in my starters. I would get the DME from your local store and make sure your yeast is good before you brew.

Update:

I made a starter but it is day 2 and when swirling I get CO2 but nothing to crazy.

Am I ok to pitch this to a batch tonight or should I wait another day?

Latest posts

Back