What strength/type of Oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxdrider

Reaction score
I've read quite a few posts on this forum about the use of Oxyclean to remove labels. I have a couple of questions.

1) Which of the many types of Oxyclean is the best? I've seen Oxyclean Stain Remover, Oxyclean in a spray bottle, Oxyclean in a powder form, and a couple of others.

2) What strength or dilution works best?

Thanks.

Look for OxyClean Free powder. I believe OxyClean Baby is the same thing. It's free of any dyes / perfumes. It's great for removing labels and really cleaning your buckets, etc. by soaking them in a hot Oxy solution.

For the dilution, I've seen many suggestions. I typically do about 2/3 to a full scoop per 5 gallons and it works great.

I figured I'd try a little while waiting for replies. I have the OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover in powder form - comes in a white plastic can with a yellow lid. I put 1 scoop (included in the container) in a 5 gallon Lowe's bucket of the hottest water from my tap. I put a six-pack of Sam Adams bottles in for 20 minutes. When I pulled one out, the label just slid off with practically no effort - just tugged on it with my finger. I did leave behind a slimy glue residue on the bottle, so I rinsed it under hot water an wiped the slime away with a plastic scouring pad, then rinsed the bottle until squeaky clean. Wow, that was SO much easier than ammonia, and no obnoxious odor!

Thanks for the replies.

Wal Mart sells a cleaner called Sun Oxygen for ~ $1.50 a container. Same as OxyClean Free and much cheaper.

I saw that when I was there to buy the Oxiclean. I figured I'd try a small quantity of the name-brand stuff first to see if it works, then maybe try the generic stuff.

After a couple of days of de-labelling, I'm very satisfied with the results with Oxiclean. Most labels just slide right off, and a quick wipe of the plastic scrub pad gets rid of the remaining glue slime, as I mentioned earlier.

I have discovered a brand which still requires an additional treatment with a glue solvent such as Goof-off/Goo-gone: Blue and Gray Brewing Co., Fredericksburg, VA. Some very stubborn glue under those labels. They're good bottles, so they're worth the extra effort.

Back