Fairfax County, VA water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We moved here 2 years ago and I've brewed a couple batches here. I am not a fan of the tap water here in general even for drinking, so I haven't brewed without filtering it or buying gallons of water.

Fairfax County water is pretty drinkable, though it does have some additives.

I have a Pur filter on my kitchen tap. I'm using Mr. Beer for my brewing currently, and all my water is filtered.

A couple of weeks ago I talked to Bill Madden, brewer at Mad Fox, and asked him what they did with their water (I'm not sure if Falls Church City has a different water supply from Fairfax Co). He said they occasionally add some salts to soften or harden the water to style, but usually don't do anything. He said he was considering getting an RO system for beers like the Kolsch (so he could start from a blank slate), but their Kolsch is already great and their Kolsch Kellerbier won gold at the GABF this year so I don't think they're doing too bad with the FC water as-is. For most of their beers they charcoal filter and that's it.

I have had no problems with the water itself. Though I am not all that deep into water chemistry yet. I also seem to remember seeing a thread/whatever somewhere saying that the water was good for homebrewing. Though that may have been a couple years ago.

I've been using straight up Fairfax CO tap since I switched to all grain. For most beers, it's been fine. However, there are some brews that seem to have an off flavor that I think may be due to the water. Either way, I've convinced my wife we need an RO system (having twins, so "we need good clean water for the babies," haha).

Back