Raging *****

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caucasian

Reaction score
Bought my first case of flying dog raging ***** sat. Had one sunday and thought it was ok. Bottle claimed it was 60 ibu, but tasted far more bitter than home brews i made that were higher. Is it a case of just using more hops at the end for flavor and aroma, or something else.
Ps i got the case for 33 bucks, is that the going rate?

I believe it runs 12.99 a six at my local TWM. 33 bucks a case sounds like you got a great deal. I have had this beer a few times and enjoyed it. Most of their beers are pretty solid that I've had so far.

I thought they got it wrong, it wasn't labeled and they gave it to me for the price of the other flying dog they had out.

$9 a six pack. It's made half an hour from where I live.

Your IBU calculations will always be off, and whichever yeast strain they use (feels similar to 550) is kind of bitter, so it cuts in with the hops for an extra bite.

I like it quite a bit when I get it very fresh, but I feel like it degrades pretty quickly. I'm loving their imperial single-hop experiments.

Plug your nose and taste it.

That will allow you to separate the bittering addition from the late boil additions.

Its under $9/6 pack here. I didnt really like it at first but it grew on me. At 8.3% it sure puts a good one on.

I love the Raging ***** :rockin:

I just picked up a case of Flying Dog's IPA sampler (4 Raging Bitches, 4 Snake Dog IPAs, 4 Doggy Style Pales and 4 "sampler exclusive" experimental Imperials (mine were single hopped Simcoes :ban:) for $33 at Shangy's in Emmaus.

Also picked up a couple of sweet beer glasses to add to my collection as I always do when I make a trip to 'beer heaven'.

$9 a six pack. It's made half an hour from where I live.

Your IBU calculations will always be off, and whichever yeast strain they use (feels similar to 550) is kind of bitter, so it cuts in with the hops for an extra bite.

Same for me, $9 a sixer. They just opened there brewery back up to tours and sampling last weekend. Some law in Maryland they worked to get changed to make it happen. Going to stop by next weekend, only about 20 minutes from my house.

A lot of people like the combination, but I find that the spicy Belgian strain they use with that beer doesn't go well with the hopping at all. It's really spicy and there are lots of phenolics. I have yet to try a "Belgian IPA" that I find halfway decent. I think one could be made with the more mellow Abbey / Trappist strains, but all of the Belgian IPAs I've had have that spicy character similar to German Hefeweizens which in my mind just doesn't go with the hops.

Bought my first case of flying dog raging ***** sat. Had one sunday and thought it was ok. Bottle claimed it was 60 ibu, but tasted far more bitter than home brews i made that were higher. Is it a case of just using more hops at the end for flavor and aroma, or something else.
Ps i got the case for 33 bucks, is that the going rate?

A lot of people like the combination, but I find that the spicy Belgian strain they use with that beer doesn't go well with the hopping at all. It's really spicy and there are lots of phenolics. I have yet to try a "Belgian IPA" that I find halfway decent. I think one could be made with the more mellow Abbey / Trappist strains, but all of the Belgian IPAs I've had have that spicy character similar to German Hefeweizens which in my mind just doesn't go with the hops.

Actually, I liked it exactly for that reason.

Too often, I find Belgian strains overly funky. In the case of traditional Belgian Ales, I prefer the milder strains.

In the case of Raging *****, it's really nothing more than an IPA w/ Belgian yeast, which I think is perfect. The beer has bite. It's aggressively hopped, and the yeast is pretty kinky. Both are strong enough not to be muted by the other.

IMO, the only thing that Belgian Ales and West Coast IPA's share in common is that they finish dry and lean. This yeast helped with that, and then provided the character to stand this beer out from the rest.

Well i've only drank six of them since i bought the case on sat, but its relly growing on me. At first the combination of bitterness and funky belgian yeast overwhelmed me, but i don't know if its the high abv or just adjusting my pallet. I have another sixer in the fridge and i'll probably kill that by sat/sun when my batch of belgian dark will be ready to drink. I've read one comment that it doesn't age well, does anyone else have experience cellaring?

Well i've only drank six of them since i bought the case on sat, but its relly growing on me. At first the combination of bitterness and funky belgian yeast overwhelmed me, but i don't know if its the high abv or just adjusting my pallet. I have another sixer in the fridge and i'll probably kill that by sat/sun when my batch of belgian dark will be ready to drink. I've read one comment that it doesn't age well, does anyone else have experience cellaring?

See, my personal experience was that I really enjoyed it, even if largely for the novelty. However, I'd have no difficulty limiting myself to one or two because it packs such a punch.

Maybe the hops will fade w/ time, try aging some regardless. The flavors might mellow out really well and provide a flavorful and unique beer.... even if very different from what Ragin' ***** is intended to be.

Latest posts

Back