Now brewing Lagers in my NYC Apartment! (Blichmann conical in Chest Freezer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my new chest freezer and had to mod it a bit, but it works! I use blichmann 7gal conicals and the freezer is a Danby DCF550W1 5.5 cu.ft. Chest Freezer. If you're scouting a similar solution i'd try to find one that was a few inches taller, though I had a tough time. 5 cubic feet will be plenty pretty much whatever dimensions as long as you have enough height.

pics attached. The second one shows the little bit I had to dig out of the top insulation to get it to close over the blichmann's pressure weight and blowoff.

Sorry if this post seems obvious, but I didn't find a lot of pics and reference stuff out there for people lagering with these conicals so I figured I'd share it.

2012-08-30 15.12.37.jpg

2012-08-30 15.46.43.jpg

Just curious as I've always wondered this, do you rack your beer from your boil kettle while the conical is already in the freezer or do you fill then lift conical full of beer and place inside. How about when its time to dump trub and rack the beer to bottles / keg. I would think it would be sort of heavy and awkward having to lift it in/ out while full.

I need to get a furniture mover but the easiest solution would be to put the empty vessel in the freezer and transfer the beer there from the boil kettle. I'll probably just hoist it for now. The blichmann has fly out handles that make it easier to heave. For trub dumping I should be able to do that right in the freezer as there is a decent amount of room in there. For transferring the beer out if you really didn't want to lift and let gravity work you can hook up CO2 to the conical and push the beer out!

Latest posts

Back