9000w Keggle first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
I finally got around to using my 9000w keggle today for a 10 gal batch of Copper Ale. I have a 5500w element then a 3500w to maintain the boil. It took 14 min to get 6.5 gal from 51F to 168F sparge temp then ~16 min for 12 gal to get back up to boil. The 3500 maintained a perfect boil, i ended up with a hair over 10 gallons total after an hour boil. What an upgrade from a turkey burner! I'm hooked on electric. :)

I haven't tried just using the 3500w so i cant tell you how much time is saved there. I can tell you its about 2-3 times faster than my propane burner. Yes i run both elements for warm up close to full boil i killed the 5500w. I have a cheapo taylor digital thermometer set with alarm at 210F for me to turn off the element.

Mikey, Each elements outlet's in a 2 gang box with a switch controlling the outlet. This allows faster on/off response and safer than unplugging with wet hands. I have plans to automate in the future.

Pics. Yea... don't ask me why i put the elements so close to each other let alone vertical. Lets just call this 9000w Ekeggle beta. Plans are to sell this once i source more kegs. The next rig will have a bottom drain and two elements horizontally configured with tri clovers for easy removal and cleaning. Its a PITA moving and cleaning the keg with 7' x2 of power cord attached.

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

I just checked my logs, with a propane burner outside in the cold it took me 40 min to get 5.5 gal from 57F to 170F, and 30 min for 11.5 gal from sparge up to boil. So its over 2x faster.

LOL.... No, but my dad went to see how fast my meter was spinning. Sadly i have a new digital meter with only a LCD readout.

wow 9kw thats a lot of power, lol! my house's furnace has 15kw :)

WOW impressive figures! Guessing you run both elements during heat up? How much time is saved vs. just running a single 3500w?

I am going to guess it would be more like an hour to get 12 gallons up to boiling temp using only the 3500W - since the theoritical formula is a straight multiplication/division.
That hour seems a reasonable guess since it takes me about 25 minutes to get 6 gallons to boil with a 4000W element

Yea to clarify, when I originally posted, I thought the OP was switching between the two elements, not running both simultaneously for the big 9kw. Hats off to that!

Latest posts

Back