chemical shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinermad

Reaction score
Do things like Go-Ferm, Fermaid-K, and yeast nutrient have a limited shelf life? I'm wondering if I should stock up or just plan on buying small quantities whenever I'm ready to start a batch or three. Most batches I'll make will be gallon sized.

Dave

My LHBS has signs up saying only to buy what you need as stuff expires after a year. Don't know if it is true or not, or they are trying to keep year round business...

If my LHBS carried everything it wouldn't be a problem to buy in small quantities, but they don't carry brand name chems like Go-Ferm or Fermaid-K. But if I can expect it to last a year I can order stuff once or twice a year and keep it on hand.

Thanks!

Dave

If I may make a suggestion? If you have a vacuum sealer you could suck the air out and seal it into the vacuum bags, just drop the whole bottle into the bag and it will suck the air out of the bag and bottle and it would make the shelf life a bit longer. Or buy the new cheaper ziploc baggies and their little pump. I buy many things for my baking/cheese making in bulk and seal many of them into my mason jars with the lid attachment and have had great success in keeping moisture and critters out. I have even been able to use yeast about a year past the expiration date. (Not that I like to do that I just misplaced a small jar and found it in the back of the cupboard :eek: it worked fine)

Back