Will I save on co2 if I do this.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
I have been closing my co2 tank between servings. When I want a cold one I pump the co2 on at about 20 for a couple of minutes pour and shut off again. Repeat. Is this helping Me save at all?

Then your not saving any money because you are not losing co2.

Once the pressure equalizes in the keg no additional co2 gets pumped in because the system is in an equalized state. Keeping the gas on only means that as the keg gets consumed the co2 keeps everything equalized as needed.

As long as there are no leaks you are not going through any more or less gas than by turning it off

You will save CO2 if you:
A) Continue to follow this method, and one day when you turn on your CO2 and you hear it rushing in to fill up the keg, this means that the keg has lost pressure somehow and you saved all the CO2 you would have lost by not noticing the leak in time.
B) Turn off the CO2 when you know you have plenty enough in the keg to push the remainder of the beverage inside and you know it will kick within a few hours, say if you were hosting a party for instance. As an example, my keg is at 30psi (soda) and is half full. If I expect my partygoers to completely empty the keg, I know the volume of headspace will double, so the headspace pressure will drop to half or 15psi (P1xV1=P2xV2) if no new CO2 is introduced. This only works well if the time between turning off the CO2 and kicking the keg is short enough such that there is no significant loss of CO2 from the beverage.

Does that help?

You will save CO2 if you:
A) Continue to follow this method, and one day when you turn on your CO2 and you hear it rushing in to fill up the keg, this means that the keg has lost pressure somehow and you saved all the CO2 you would have lost by not noticing the leak in time.

This is exactly what I do, and exactly why I do it.

After you've lost a couple tanks' worth of CO2, you get very protective of it. :)

Latest posts

Back