Has anyone noticed certain yeast strains to cause excess or extra stinky gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
So I pulled an old Wit bottle out of my basement and drank it last night, according to the recipe I used Wyeast 3944, and last night and all this morning I have been farting up a storm. I let one rip so loudly last night while sleeping that I woke myself up and scared the dog enough that he decided to go sleep on the couch.

Now my digestive system is used to the Nottingham and safale 05 that are in my usual every day homebrews, but for some reason introducing this new yeast to my system is having disastrous effects. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with certain homebrew yeasts, and what strains seem to be particularly bad.

lol...I had this "effect" with my first 2 batches..attributed it to the fact that I just drink too much beer..but this does make sense. I found the longer the bottles primed, the less of a problem it was

I dunno if it was the yeast or the ingredients, but I can't drink more than one of my Dankelweissens without my belly aching. I used Bavarian Wheat yeast with that one, but the carbonation is a bit on the high side so that might be it too. I dunno.

For me it is not the age, the wit has been aging in the bottle for a few months, I think it has something to do with the actual strain of yeast.

And with regards to branching out, yes I probably should but my Nottingham is on generation 4 and my safale 05 is on generation 2. I had to dump my lager yeast and replaced it with safale, seeing as how I paid for it I may as well use it a few times right? This is why my system is used to these yeasts. As soon as I switch up yeasts the process starts again and I eventually get used to the new yeast.

Back