Weld-less kettle valve kit not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with a weld-less valve kit not tightening enough? I finally got around to trying mine out on a 5g pot I have and no matter what I try I cannot get the gap between the coupling and the hex nipple to be even close to providing a seal. I am using the gasket included with the kit and I think I'm doing it all correctly (only 3 parts) but I'm left with probably 1/8" gap. The fitting is slo loose it free wobbles. Since the coupling is round I can only hold it with my hand to tighten but I can't get it to go any further in due to it's taper. The teflon tape help a bit but the gap is way too big still. I wonder if this is even possible with pots that are on the thin side.

You can grip the couping with some pliers. Wrap the teeth of the pliers in several wraps of tape to keep from marring the coupling.

If you have a diptube or other interior fitting threading into the coupling that has a hex nut, you can use that tighten up the fitting kit.

Its going to be difficult if not impossible to tighten it up using your hand to grip the coupling.

Depending on how low you drilled your hole, you could install the fitting with the hex inside and then use the valve to tighten down the fitting.

In either case the gasket goes between the washer and the kettle wall.

If that's all the kit came with, you can add a washer and another silicone o-ring to close up the gap and get a tight leak-free fit. I had to do that w/ a thermometer or 2, So it would go like this:

Valve > washer > o-ring > bulkhead > o-ring > nut

Can you post a link to the one you have or some pics? Perhaps you got the cooler fitting w/ a longer nipple.

I had to use 4 washers on the outside of my pot to get everything tight. On the inside I have coupling, hex nut (with groove), and O-ring; and on the outside I have 4 SS washers, then the ball valve. (Note - the washers on the outside don't really have to be stainless, but I already had them on-hand.) The washers on the outside pull the coupling on the inside closer to the pot.

Back