1.110 russian imperial problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baspronick

Reaction score
I brewed a russian imperial with an og of 1.110 almost 2 months ago. It fermented down rather quickly to 1.040 and stopped. I added a packet of nottingham as i racked to secondary with hopes of it dropping quite a bit more. The new notty has been a beast, and i thought it might do the trick. I just checked it and it has dropped to 1.030. My question is weather or not this is going to still be too sweet, or if I need to do something to try to drop it a little more. At this point, it should be at about 10.7%. I do plan on letting this sit until the fall, but I dont want to let it sit for the next 6 or 8 months, and it is still too sweet, and try to deal with it then. Thanks, and any tips would be appreciated.

Seems a little sweet still. any thoughts on amalyse enzyme? If I added just a little, would it drop it just a little, or would it go crazy and drop it like crazy, and dry it out way too much?

What was the recipe. Depending on recipe that might be all the fermentables in there. With the alcohol being that high you might need a few packs of dry yeast to really drop that mofo down.

Could try making a starter and pitch some very active yeast at high krausen to kick things back into gear. Not sure about the amalyse. I would go by taste but russian imperial stouts will benefit greatly from time.

Back