extra beer what to do with it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick_haus

Reaction score
I dont bottle, I usually make 10 gal batches and rack it into kegs. Usually there is none left over but this time I had a quart extra, which I put into a sterilized qt. mason jar. Can I make a small batch of priming sugar and add it to the jar and carb it in there? If so, how much sugar/water should I use? Any other suggestions?

If you're really keen on bottling it, I'd run down to the packy and get a couple Grolsch - drink the contents, sanitize the bottles, prime and bottle.

About a teaspoon of table sugar for the quart should be enough.

Mason jars are designed to hold a vacuum, but I'd worry about making a bomb by trying to bottle beer in them.

Priming sugar calculators should let you select your volume as well as your style... dial it down to 0.25 gallons and go to town.

I'd also be leery of the mason jars.... they're designed to seal against negative pressure when the pasteurized contents cool, not positive pressure from carbonation. Surely you've still got a capper and some old caps lying around?

If you need empty bottles, PM me; I'll send you my address, you can mail me a six pack and I'll clean all that pesky craft brew out and send you back the empties.

If you're really in a pinch soda or club soda bottles can work well too, though some leave a hell of a lingering taste.

If you're really in a pinch soda or club soda bottles can work well too, though some leave a hell of a lingering taste.

Crash makes an excellent point, but I would be weary of the aftertaste from using those bottles. Best to use real beer bottles, swing top work great if you don't feel like buying a gross of caps.

OK Thanks for the tips.
I have a capper and some caps that were given to me by a friend that quit HBing :confused:. I'll look up a priming calc. and figure the amount for .25 gal. Then bottle.

Use the plastic soda bottles and for 16 oz. use 1/8 to scant 1/4 tsp sugar.

Why not just put in a sanitizer jug, unprimed, and use it to cook with? I use beer in place of water in several recipes, like roast beef.

I dont bottle, I usually make 10 gal batches and rack it into kegs. Usually there is none left over but this time I had a quart extra, which I put into a sterilized qt. mason jar. Can I make a small batch of priming sugar and add it to the jar and carb it in there? If so, how much sugar/water should I use? Any other suggestions?

I too make 10 gallon batches. When I have leftover, I take a gravity reading and then put the rest in a plastic soda bottle, chill it in the freezer for 30-40 minutes and carb it up with this.

Carbonator Cap

The benefits are no waste, gravity reading, and you get to try your beer immediately. Sorry to plug TKNice's and my website outside of my signature but its easy for me to get the link.

Back