Grolsh and 8oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterGlenn

Reaction score
Aside from looking cool, and being much easier to cap, do the Grolsh bottles really do anything for you. I've never drank out of one, but does the topper hit you in the nose? Guess that really wouldnt be too big of a problem since I pour my brews into a glass to remove most of the sediment at the bottom.

Is there any company out there that makes pry off 8oz bottles? I would like to have a few of these as tasters to make sure the CO2 is at a good level before I start refigerating the rest of the batch? I know there are some that are twist off... but that really doesnt help for this....

One final thing, does blue glass really proctect less against sun light than green glass? It seems like it would be darker...?

I love my Grolsh bottles and they look really cool when you take them to someone's house have not seen any 8 oz bottles

Well technically you should not be drinking out of the bottle anyway, as any good beer snob knows you do not get all the aroma or beautiful appearance, etc unless you pour it into a glass. Not to mention separating out the sediment layer that natural carbonation makes.

I'm sure you can find some already packaged <12 oz bottles somewhere at your local craft beer store.

Blue glass does not block out the majority of UV light as it is on the same side of the specrtum as UV and as a result does not block out those wavelengths. So by that logic I think I am only going to use bright crimson red glass bottles from now on.

You can buy some Coronitas, 7 oz Corona in bottles. I use them as samplers. They are clear and lets me see the beer as well. I keep them in a box to keep the light out. Soak them is Starsan for a couple of days and the labels scrub right off. Of course, you need to find someone to drink the Corona...:D

by that logic I think I am only going to use bright crimson red glass bottles from now on.

Lol bright crimson bottles :D

NivekD-

The Coronitas seem like a good ide for tasters, just have to keep them out of sunlight like you mentioned. As far as what to do with bad beer, I either boil bratwurst in them, or add them to chili in place of water...

Or if you want them to taste like corona just leave them out on the porch for a week.....

Back