Heat Stick Problems. Need help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smerta

Reaction score
I am building a heat stick per these instructions: www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

I am having trouble attaching the element to the pipe. Here is a picture of my setup and the issue I am having: http://imgur.com/a/nNL0y

Any ideas on how I can get the coupler to screw down onto the pipe thus holding the element in place and providing a nice seal?

I am building a heat stick per these instructions: www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

I am having trouble attaching the element to the pipe. Here is a picture of my setup and the issue I am having: http://imgur.com/a/nNL0y

Any ideas on how I can get the coupler to screw down onto the pipe thus holding the element in place and providing a nice seal?

Looks like the same issue I had; just grind down the "points" on the element's nut.

I built the same stick. Had to leave the rubber gasket out to get the nut threaded on. Try that first...

When I built my heatstick I didn't like the way the coupler nut held the element in. I picked up a large stainless washer, I had to grind out both the inside and the outside to get it to fit over the element and inside the coupler nut, but it made for a nice, tight and clean looking connection.

Just looked at your pics. The plastic compression ring is not used. If you are not using the 1.25" reducing ring recommended on the heatstick site you will need to apply tape to keep the JB weld from seeping out near the element until it sets.

Just looked at your pics. The plastic compression ring is not used. If you are not using the 1.25" reducing ring recommended on the heatstick site you will need to apply tape to keep the JB weld from seeping out near the element until it sets.

Like stated above, don't use that compression ring. Go to Lowe's and buy a 1.25" reducing ring, use the stock gasket for the element and it all should screw together and fit much better. You will still need to pot the element & possibly seal all your threads with Aquarium Silicone.

Good Luck!

Back