Pump recirc without a grant vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have always just recirculated using a small bucket, pouring the runnings back on top of the grain bed. Last brew I tried using the pump straight from the mash tun valve. I couldn't get the lines to fill up to prime the pump. What do you guys do? Use a grant? Pre prime the lines?

First, the pump has to be below the Mash Tun outlet. And you have to arrange the ports so that the pump will fill up completely, otherwise you will cavitate the pump.

Lastly, you have to have a valve on the OUT side of the pump so you can choke the output. Otherwise the pump will draw too hard and starve itself due to the grain bed restricting the flow. Just open the valve a little to get it flowing. Once you have a circuit going, you can adjust the flow to your liking, or to the rate at which the grain will allow.

I had all of that. I was just not able to work out a large air bubble from the pump inlet hose. Next time i will try priming the pump and lines and starting slow. I have a ball valve on the output of both of my pumps.

Do you have a dip tube in the mash? I have one in my kettle, and the first prime is always a pain because of the uphill travel of the dip tube holding a pocket of air. I generally blow on the pump out fitting, and it siphons the wort back through the line.

I had all of that. I was just not able to work out a large air bubble from the pump inlet hose. Next time i will try priming the pump and lines and starting slow. I have a ball valve on the output of both of my pumps.

I use 5/8" (!) silicon hose from the mash tun's valve to the pump, and I have to pinch the hose a few times to release the air bubbles from the input side of the pump. I also have a ball valve on the output side of the pump, this prevents from pulling too much on the input side and also prevents a stuck mash.

MC

Back