hello been a while, looking to try a mead finally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYat

Reaction score
hey ladies an gents,

curious about a mead that is not sweet . love to be around 20% but i know thats tough. wanna try to put it on some oak cubes. I'm a big whiskey drinker and hate sweet stuff. should I be in the 3 lb honey per gallon range? using EC 118.

I saw where one used 5 lbs per gallon but that won't all ferment out so prolly be sweet right?

3lbs per gallon won't get you 20%. BUT using 5lbs per gal up front will stall you out. Using the calculator on GotMead

4.5lbs per gallon will net you 20.22% if its dry.

In order to do this you should ferment 3lbs per gallon and add the rest in gradually. Search "Step feeding" and "staggered Nutrient addition" while you're at it.

Don't just leap at a champagne yeast either..... they're not a magic bullet !

K1-V1116 would be a good start, you should, with a bit of care and caution get you 18% or if you like a challenge you could try WLP099 from White Labs or there's some eau-de-vie yeasts, those ones allegedly, do 20% +.....

MmB's suggestions are spot on. It will likely take some effort but is doable.....

ok cool I have d 47 too. I've used white labs before in beer. so cool. thanks brotha man ! God bless yall

Back