Temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyO

Reaction score
I live in Mobile, AL and our weather is crazy. When I started my brew on Sat. we had a high of 55 degrees. Today our high will be around 80. My beer in in mid-fermentation and I've been able to keep the temperature constant by using a wet towel over the primary. My question is more about the secondary. Is temperature still critical when the beer is clearing for a couple of weeks, or is it ok to have some more ups and downs. Just planning ahead since my house can vary in temperature a lot during the warm months (which in Mobile is March-November). Any info is greatly appreciated.

Im a newb but for the best beer your temerature should be consistant even in your secondary, there is still millions of yeast cells in your beer, and the high temperature can still cause some bad flavors

I used to brew in Albuquerque and didn't have a basement, so I can sympathize!

I just put the fermenter in a keg bucket with water and draped old t-shirts over the top to wick up moisture. I'd throw a tray or two of ice into the water as needed.

After having a few high-gravity ales go nuts, I built one of these to keep my fermentation at a lower temperature:
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

I've tested it and it works great at all temperatures. I haven't really had to use it yet, though, living in california. my apartment stays at about 75, and the closet where i keep my brews is pretty steady between 68-73 lately. This summer it will get much hotter, though, and i'll get a chance to really see it in action.

Also, it doesn't do anything for heating...so don't know what to really do about those 55 degree nights, except keep it inside where it's warmer.

Thanks for all the advice as always. Eventually, I'll probably get an old used fridge or freezer with an external thermostat, so I can just set at whatever temp I want.

I got an old fridge off of a friend (For free) and its been working greet. i put a remote wireless thermometer in it and just been watching the temp from my kitchen whenever I pass by. I hired the wife to watch it when im at work. I just need some tech help on replacing the thermostat because the warmest the fridge gets is 50’F so a little cool for ale.

yeah, that was my problem with doing it with a fridge. you have to change out thermometers or something...haven't really got a clear answer on how to do it exactly and to tell you the truth, it would be too bulky for my apartment right now, anyway.

Back