Need some help with IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehousebrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum here. I'm hoping you can help me refine a recipe idea I had. I'm interested in brewing up a batch of imperial IPA for my hophead family as Christmas gifts and had kind of an epiphany about the hop usage/schedule. In addition, i am wondering if using no crystal malts would be a good idea. I'd also like to try oaking with some French medium toast chips, inspired by the 21st amendment Hop Crisis IIPA. Can you tell me if this looks horrible?

The 4 C's of the Hopocalypse

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.014
ABV: 8.6%
IBU: 100+
Batch size: 5.5 gal.
Danstar BRY-97

Grist:

7 lbs. American 2-row
6 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Munich malt
1 lb. sugar
.5 lb. wheat malt (mostly for body and head retention...open to alternatives)

Hop schedule:

1 oz Columbus FWH
1 oz chinook @ 60

Blend 1 oz each of Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade. Add:

1 oz 4Cs @ 20
1 oz 4Cs @ 5
2 oz 4Cs @ whirlpool
2 oz Simcoe dry-hop
1 oz Centennial dry-hop
.5 oz Columbus dry-hop

Rack off and add ?? Oz oak chips for ??

Thanks everyone!

Sounds good, you can certainly go without the crystal. The Maris Otter is a good idea, you could even go higher on the Munich if you wanted or you could try some Melanoidin malt.

Thanks jesperx. Do you think an equal amount of melanoidin(~5%)? In addition to the grist? Anyone else? What about oaking?

I like melanoiden malt in my ipas sometimes too. 5% seems ok to me; that combined with the Munich and Maris otter should give it quite a rich malt texture.

I have no opinion on the oak as I am not a huge afficianado of barrel aged ipas.

Back