I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy tonight! My dad's biopsy came back negative. His doc has been treating him for an infection and he is feeling so much better. I hope that is all it is. He is still going to get a PET scan to be certain. I am so relieved...so I am going to share a picture of my wife. It is an experiment of her's. She has been making a good living for us at photography for quite a few years now. It is not perfect but a good start...and a hell of a good looking woman if you ask me...

thumb2_img953265-60026.jpg

I am so happy tonight! My dad's biopsy came back negative. His doc has been treating him for an infection and he is feeling so much better. I hope that is all it is. He is still going to get a PET scan to be certain. I am so relieved...so I am going to share a picture of my wife. It is an experiment of her's. She has been making a good living for us at photography for quite a few years now. It is not perfect but a good start...and a hell of a good looking woman
Nice on all accounts

lschiavo said:
I am so happy tonight! My dad's biopsy came back negative. His doc has been treating him for an infection and he is feeling so much better. I hope that is all it is. He is still going to get a PET scan to be certain. I am so relieved...so I am going to share a picture of my wife. It is an experiment of her's. She has been making a good living for us at photography for quite a few years now. It is not perfect but a good start...and a hell of a good looking woman if you ask me...

Great news about your dad! My mom recently had some sort of infection and spent a week in ICU, four days of which she needed a ventilator. She looked awful, and at her age(85), I had little hope she'd recover. Now she's in a pulmonary rehab and doing well.

That's a beautiful picture :)

Awesome news Ischiavo! Glad to hear it. Good looking wife you got there too. I imagine you felt like she looks in that picture when you heard the news. :mug:

thumb2_img953265-60026.jpg

Woo hoo!:ban: Been there, done that, know how you sweat and fret. Glad your dad is feeling better.

Sweet picture too!

I know it's a little early for HBT's resident frozen dessert expert to be in here, but....

Lots of dark chocolate ice cream recipes call for instant coffee. I'm making some crazy chocolate ice cream for my anniversary beer dinner tomorrow. I bought some very good chocolate and I feel a little silly using instant coffee. Not sure if instant coffee goes bad, but I'm pretty sure it was bought to make ice cream and has been in the cabinet yearsish. So I started thinking, why not use some chocolate malt ground to a powder instead?

I know it's a little early for HBT's resident frozen dessert expert to be in here, but....

Lots of dark chocolate ice cream recipes call for instant coffee. I'm making some crazy chocolate ice cream for my anniversary beer dinner tomorrow. I bought some very good chocolate and I feel a little silly using instant coffee. Not sure if instant coffee goes bad, but I'm pretty sure it was bought to make ice cream and has been in the cabinet yearsish. So I started thinking, why not use some chocolate malt ground to a powder instead?

Why not? Won't be the same, but it might be good. It should add a little matliness too. I've often thought about making a milkshake with DME. Might want to make a test batch first since it's for a special occasion. The cold brewed coffee sounds good though too, like mcb mentioned.

I'd go with a cold-press or cold-brewed coffee and just make it strong, using a liquid that is part of the recipe so you don't water it down.

I got burnt out on coffee and haven't roasted any in a while. After fresh roasted single origin beans, store bought or for that matter any small roaster I've tried just doesn't cut it. So I drink tea in the a.m. and don't have any coffee in the house even though there is a full sized commercial bunn grinder on the counter.

It's only 2 tsp of the instant and then I'm scaling recipe down by 1/3. I only got 4 oz of chocolate and the recipe calls for 6....I've munched chocolate malt before and am pretty sure it would be great, I might even use de-bittered black. The ice cream is going in a float with sour/funky blackberry stout and we'll be drinking a maybe 5 yr old Struise Black Albert with it.

I got burnt out on coffee and haven't roasted any in a while. After fresh roasted single origin beans, store bought or for that matter any small roaster I've tried just doesn't cut it. So I drink tea in the a.m. and don't have any coffee in the house even though there is a full sized commercial bunn grinder on the counter.

It's only 2 tsp of the instant and then I'm scaling recipe down by 1/3. I only got 4 oz of chocolate and the recipe calls for 6....I've munched chocolate malt before and am pretty sure it would be great, I might even use de-bittered black. The ice cream is going in a float with sour/funky blackberry stout and we'll be drinking a maybe 5 yr old Struise Black Albert with it.

Since your altering the recipe already then you should be fine using the malt. Should be nice any way you go from here! :)

Didn't you just post that? Yep, she's great. Reminds me a bit of Brandie Carlile.

No, I posted another awesome song from Serena Ryder. Why the heck isn't she on the radio in the U.S.? Damn commercial radio in this country wouldn't know talent if it slapped them in the face.

EDIT: Well, no...I did post this earlier :drunk:. But damn, it is worth listening to twice.

Erm, I hope you weren't talking about me. I've been making ice cream a lot lately but I'm not very good at it yet....

Hmm, I really have no idea what that would taste like.

A little coffee is to chocolate what salt is to meat. You don't taste coffee, you just taste the chocolate more.

I'd go with a cold-press or cold-brewed coffee and just make it strong, using a liquid that is part of the recipe so you don't water it down.
This sounds like a good idea.

I've used cold pressed coffee in ice cream, and I didn't like the results. The water in the coffee made the ice cream have a crystalized mouth feel instead of being creamy and smooth like ice cream should be. I would highly recommend the instant coffee. It's likely still good after a year. Heck I'd probably even like finely ground coffee beans right in the mix myself.

I've used cold pressed coffee in ice cream, and I didn't like the results. The water in the coffee made the ice cream have a crystalized mouth feel instead of being creamy and smooth like ice cream should be. I would highly recommend the instant coffee. It's likely still good after a year. Heck I'd probably even like finely ground coffee beans right in the mix myself.
I tried that in chocolate. I couldn't get the coffee into a fine enough powder, it always came out gritty.

Those are righteous! I like the crunch of the coffee bean and the sweet chocolate. Bitter, sweet and crunchy. Hard to beat!

I love the crunch and sweet chocolate too. Just don't eat too many at once! :cross:

Don't tell my boss. I left work a little early today. The weather outside lately has been beautiful. Mid-seventies, blue sky, sunny. What a great time for a motorcycle ride. Just an hour or so but so nice.

What's up brother Stauff! :mug:

Not much Dan. Work has been slow for a couple weeks, so I've been bumming around.

The weather is nice here right now too, but it's starting to get hot. Once it hits 100 degrees around here people don't come out of their homes. We're at the mid 90's now. I imagine by next week we'll start hitting 100. I need to get the second evap cooler on my roof running before that happens.

How have you been my friend? Have you brewed lately?

I'm just weird enough to like that. I like chocolate covered espresso beans. Have you ever had those?
I've had those, they are pretty good. I think the crunch of the coffee bean is really what keeps them from being fantastic though. Usually the bean is so hard it's a little difficult to eat.

The flavor is really good though. The chocolate was good too, I just didn't care for the texture.

Not much Dan. Work has been slow for a couple weeks, so I've been bumming around.

The weather is nice here right now too, but it's starting to get hot. Once it hits 100 degrees around here people don't come out of their homes. We're at the mid 90's now. I imagine by next week we'll start hitting 100. I need to get the second evap cooler on my roof running before that happens.

How have you been my friend? Have you brewed lately?

I hear ya Mike. The last two weeks have been very nice here. May, is in this part of the country is our nicest month. By the weekend it is suppose to get up to 102 on Saturday, and 104 Sunday.

I haven't brewed lately but do have some grains and hops so need to soon. I have had a few people inquire about brewing here lately so maybe I'll give them a lesson soon.

Trying to find a job in Hawaii, no luck yet.

Here's a song I was going to post on the country thread, but instead, think I'll post it here. This is a beer forum! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had those, they are pretty good. I think the crunch of the coffee bean is really what keeps them from being fantastic though. Usually the bean is so hard it's a little difficult to eat.

The flavor is really good though. The chocolate was good too, I just didn't care for the texture.

If first you don't succeed, try, try, again. They are good. Maybe give them another chance.

I was a bit put off by the texture at first, too. I think it's kind of an acquired texture. You have to accept that coffee grounds in your mouth isn't weird. Once I did that I got past the texture. I've also found that some are more of a light crunch while other brands are harder on the teeth. I think the trick is roasting the snot out of the beans first!
I hear ya Mike. The last two weeks have been very nice here. May, is in this part of the country is our nicest month. By the weekend it is suppose to get up to 102 on Saturday, and 104 Sunday.

I haven't brewed lately but do have some grains and hops so need to soon. I have had a few people inquire about brewing here lately so maybe I'll give them a lesson soon.

Trying to find a job in Hawaii, no luck yet.

I've been cutting back on brewing for the last couple of months. I was making way too much beer there for a while. I do fight the itch, though.

It sounds like a cool idea to teach friends to brew. I've actually never brewed with another person before. In the beginning I was to pre-occupied to do that. Now I tend to feel like it's my zen time, so I like doing it alone. I wouldn't mind sharing with someone now, though. I'm comfortable with the entire process these days, so I'm no longer pre-occupied to the point of not being able to teach someone to brew.

I'm sure something will come up in Hawaii eventually.

If first you don't succeed, try, try, again. They are good. Maybe give them another chance.
Oh, I've got a bag of them in my drawer at work. They are good if I pick me up.

I really should try the chocolate again. Though I think I'd like to try adding a liquid flavoring instead of powdered coffee. Expresso powder had sort of the same problem as ground coffee. It stayed in little pieces in the chocolate until the water of your tongue hit it. Then you have instant uber strength coffee on your tongue. Not unpleasant exactly, just not up to my personal standard.

I also found that I can order powdered pure caffeine. I would need a scale that is accurate in fractions of a gram to use that stuff though. It's ridiculously powerful.

Hmm, I believe I managed to get tipsy off of a bottle of baileys. Huh, I don't usually have any problem with liquors...

Oh, I've got a bag of them in my drawer at work. They are good if I pick me up.

I really should try the chocolate again. Though I think I'd like to try adding a liquid flavoring instead of powdered coffee. Expresso powder had sort of the same problem as ground coffee. It stayed in little pieces in the chocolate until the water of your tongue hit it. Then you have instant uber strength coffee on your tongue. Not unpleasant exactly, just not up to my personal standard.

I also found that I can order powdered pure caffeine. I would need a scale that is accurate in fractions of a gram to use that stuff though. It's ridiculously powerful.

Why not put instant coffee or the like in the ice cream mix, but make a hot custard type of mix that has to be chilled before churning. I know a lot of chocolate ice cream recipes are cooked first. If I remember correct a lot of them have egg in the recipe just like a true custard. Then the instant coffee would blend nicely.

Drinking my first beer/alcoholic beverage in 4 or 5 days, back in the city tonight. Now I can relax, have a couple brews. I have to get a lot of computer work done, take back my website, and figured I'd get more done here than being on the farm with all the distractions. Hubby is okay, one of my best friends have taken over checking on him every day, at least a phone call, but most days stopping by. Family is giving him a wide girth. He is weak, tired, frustrated. But, anger seems to be under control since his doctor and nurses had a talk with him.

One of the roommates is away for a couple weeks, so my son is using his room, and I am using my son's room. I left beer here, and found almost $60.00 waiting for me in the penny bank made from an empty oatmeal container. Anyone besides my son and immediate roommates were asked to leave a dollar a beer they take(a tip). The batch my son and his friends brewed up is looking good. Not sure if the tip jar is legal, but I did tell my son "no minors".

Before leaving the farm, I got everything fermentable in the house fermenting. 5 or 6 containers of opened juices in the bottom of the fridge, poured them all into a fermenter, along with some grape, orange, and strawberry flavored soda, almost 4 gallons. The sodas do contain a preservative but I think I got it diluted enough to make it work. Was still actively fermenting when I left. Tasted it prior to adding the wine yeast and it was very good. Everything from prune juice to OJ to tropical blend to flavored sugary soda, Fanta. Should be interesting.

That's all going on here. So glad to hear everyone else seems to be doing very well also. :)

I was going to buy some stuff on amazon, but managed to close the tab by mistake. I think I'll go to bed and place the order while entirely sober later, or not...

Latest posts

Back