Opinions on my water report.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockypunk

Reaction score
Hey guys I got my hands on my (fort worth)
city water report. I was wondering how this looks to a more experienced brewer. Any thoughts on styles of beer conducive to water like this? Should I look into RO and build my water? Should I filter? I don't have a filter yet but I can dilute with distilled water. Also the chloramines are 3.2ppm. Was planning in using campden tabs for my brew day tomorrow.

image-359396124.jpg

There are a number of spreadsheets and Kia's new on line tool.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

Your best bet is to take your favorite recipe and enter it. At first glance to someone who is just now looking into the water chemistry thing, you will at least need RO to dilute some. Too get chloride and sufate levels up with the 'normal' tool kit you will be raising the calcium too.

But, best to get a tool and just look at the implications of your favorite recipes and go from there.

It doesn't look that bad excepting that the alkalinity is high and could require neutralization for many brews.

Going with the campden is a good idea. If the water tastes fishy or scumy, then filtration through an activated carbon filter should help.

Of course, to learn more about brewing water chemisty, visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website. While there, check out Bru'n Water. Most people find that its a pain to have to reload all of your data into a calculator for every brew. That is the advantage of having your own data in sheets on your own computer!

Back