Beginner!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnywalker

Reaction score
Could anyone help me please, im new to this but really want to get into it! Ive bought a starter kit which tells me its all the equipment i need but as for ingredients and sterile tablets and stuff im a bit of a novice. Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks

Yeah, i have a 10ltr bucket and lid
1 glass demijohn / Dama jar
1 bubbler airlock and bored bung
1 Stevenson Reeve Hydrometer
1 Thermometer
1 syphon tube
2 Muslin bags for straining the must
100gms of cleaning/sterilising solution

I'll prolly get beat up by all the recipe junkies out there but start with some non pre-hopped pre-made extract kits untill you get your process and some techniques down.. Then go from there :) Use this site and its search feature to its fullest extent!!

jonnywalker said:
Is that for making wine? Thought id start with wine then move onto the ale!

You can take it for both.... there are alot of great wine kits out there too.. A little on the pricy side but should do the trick for you... Might be some added expense for sorbate, conditioner ect!!

Sorry for sounding dumb but what extras i.e sorbet, nutrients, yeast, do i need?

What kind of wine do you wish to make? If you're starting with a kit wine, they have everything you need in the box. If you want to start by using fruits or juices on your own, check out some of the recipes I have posted. Everything you need will be in the recipe. (The recipes are under my "recipe" pulldown under my avatar).

For equipment, you want to match your batch size to your demijohn or carboy. So, if you have a 23L demijohn, you should make a 23L batch.

Im just going to start with a red merlot and go from there, once i understand the process i should be ok, its just starting out thats the hard part!

I started with fruit wines. My elderberry has actually turned out great. It'll be amazing in a few months time.

I think making a kit wine can be beneficial to the learning process. Just remember - patience is key!!

Let us know how you get on.

Dicky.

Well ive orderd the kit, some yeast, nutrients and potasium sorbate so that shud be here tomorow, so no doubt il be back on askin for help with the process!!

Well ive orderd the kit, some yeast, nutrients and potasium sorbate so that shud be here tomorow, so no doubt il be back on askin for help with the process!!

Kits generally come with every ingredient you will need. More than anything, you should have bought some campden tablets for sterilizing.

Back