any tips to add flavor and aroma when growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthSide

Reaction score
i finished my second year growing centennial hops and just brewed a 3 gallon test batch to test this years crop. here is the recipe i used:

5.00 lbs Golden Promise

1.00 oz Centennial 12
2.00 oz Centennial 10
1.00 oz Centennial 5
1.00 oz Centennial 2
1.00 oz Centennial 1

i was expecting a super hoppy pale ale and ended up with more like a light pilsner. the bitterness is there, but almost no hop flavor and aroma.

looking forward to year 3, are there any tips from successful growers for growing a more flavorful and aromatic hop? is it all about the soil and fertilizers used?

i harvested most of them in the last couple weeks of october. last year i harvested most of them too soon, so i made sure this year to wait til they were ripe.

yeah, they smelled good and tasted bitter like hops. is it possible i didn't dry them enough?

you can wet hop, but I think drying the hops makes them a bit more potent. I thought with loose hops (cones, leaves) you had to kind of double up in the process.

you can wet hop, but I think drying the hops makes them a bit more potent.[...]

Well, %AA by weight will obviously go up as you remove moisture from the weight side, but I wouldn't call that making the hops more potent. It's certainly not going to change the chemistry. About the only things you can do to alpha acids is to degrade them through heat and/or oxidation. Can't make them stronger...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back