From Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyfree

Reaction score
Hello. Could someone please give me a easy recipie for a red wine from concentrate.

Here is a tried and true Welch's frozen concentrate recipe:

1 gallon

4 cans of Welch's 11.5oz frozen concentrate (flavor of choice except white grape raspberry. It ferments to be very tart)
1 TBS or 3 tea bags of favorite black tea (I like earl grey)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (I like lalvin 71b for its tendency for making nice young wines)

This is very simple. Just mix everything together even the tea just loose in the must and only add half your water at first. Shake up and aerate the jug/carboy well. Add the remaining water. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and pitch yeast. This should be finished fermenting in 1-2 weeks. Cold crash if possible and this should be crystal clear with very tightly packed lees in another 1-2 weeks. Siphon off the clear liquid into bottles. Done! If you want a sweeter wine the siphon off the clear liquid into another jug and add 1 crushed Camden tablet, 1/2 tsp of sorbate and 12 hours later 1 can of concentrate. Watch the wine for another week to make sure fermentation does not pick up and then feel free to bottle.

Sounds amazing, i've been watching youtube and this was very similar to a delcouis looking recipie. Thank you

Sorry. But do you mean tear the tea bags open and dump it in. Or leave it in the bags?

I actually tear the tea bag open. I just had one experience a long time ago where I left the tea bags intact through primary but probably left it in too long and the tea bag started to break apart leaving these floaty bits in my mead I had to filter out.

I'd also like to add that White Grape Peach is my favorite concentrate wine. White grape Raspberry is a close 2nd, though.

Really with the white grape raspberry? I always thought it pretty tart to the point of not liking it. But then I don't back sweeten my concentrate wines often. Do you back sweeten the raspberry wine?

Just started it. Used 5 cans on concentrate. Just looked better to me.

Here is a tried and true Welch's frozen concentrate recipe:

1 gallon

4 cans of Welch's 11.5oz frozen concentrate (flavor of choice except white grape raspberry. It ferments to be very tart)
1 TBS or 3 tea bags of favorite black tea (I like earl grey)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (I like lalvin 71b for its tendency for making nice young wines)

This is very simple. Just mix everything together even the tea just loose in the must and only add half your water at first. Shake up and aerate the jug/carboy well. Add the remaining water. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and pitch yeast. This should be finished fermenting in 1-2 weeks. Cold crash if possible and this should be crystal clear with very tightly packed lees in another 1-2 weeks. Siphon off the clear liquid into bottles. Done! If you want a sweeter wine the siphon off the clear liquid into another jug and add 1 crushed Camden tablet, 1/2 tsp of sorbate and 12 hours later 1 can of concentrate. Watch the wine for another week to make sure fermentation does not pick up and then feel free to bottle.

What kind of OG do you get with this?

I had lost my hydrometer, and it was late at night. So i didnt get any measurment. But by the way it foamed, it musthave been high.

What kind of OG do you get with this?

I usually get about 1.080 but I think I am heavy handed on the water and may have a volume slightly over 1 gallon. So if you are closer to a gallon I could see this going to 1.086 - 1.090.

Really with the white grape raspberry? I always thought it pretty tart to the point of not liking it. But then I don't back sweeten my concentrate wines often. Do you back sweeten the raspberry wine?

I havn't tried backsweetening any of my concentrate wines yet. But I do have 4 different 1 gallon batches of concentrate wines that I will be backsweetening in the coming weeks just to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back