adding pear flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odawg82

Reaction score
Has anyone added pears to their beer for flavor. I brew a batch last night and I added pairs to the last 20 minutes of my boil. Was wondering if that will be enough or should I add some to my secondary stage.

People add fruit to beer all the time, some add it during boil, some add it to the fermenter. I personally do my fruit additions to the fermenter after FG has been reached. Depending on how much Pear you used, you will probably get pear in the flavor, but not the sweetness, as IIRC fructose is fermentable:D

Pear is a very hard fruit to work with when it competes with other flavors. You will want a very light beer and a lot of pears. Even when mixing pear with cider, it seems to lighten the body of the cider more than it contributes flavor. Just some things to think about.

As far as your own beer, you can add them in the boil if you want. It's hard to say if "it's enough" because I don't know your beer, the type of pear, or how much you used. Even if I did, it really comes down to taste. With brewing, you usually want a flavor addition to be stronger than it needs to be prior to fermentation. Flavor will mellow out over time. If you could barely taste it before fermentation starts, then it is very likely it will taste even weaker after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back