New Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royale

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am considering to buy a new SS boil kettle. I do mostly 5 gallon batches but would like to be able to do 10 gallon batches as well. My question is if I go with the 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker but only doing 5 gallons most of the times, will I get poor efficiency due to the boil off? TIA for any advice you guys can share.

No, your efficiency should not suffer that much due to a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches.

It makes a heck of a lot more sense to own only one 15 gallon kettle instead of a 10 and a 15 gallon kettle.

It is a simple matter to adjust your wort collection if there is indeed a larger amount boiled off. I made the switch to a 15 gal a few years ago and it made brew day much more fun and carefree. Did boil off about 1/2 gal more in 60 min. We do mostly 7 gal batches and just collected 1/2 gal more wort....

Thank you all for the inputs.

Spike: Are you saying that the probe will not be in contact with the boiling wort?

If you are open to other brands of kettles, spikebrewing has 15 gallon kettles with 'horizontal couplers' which keeps the thermometer low enough to work with any volume of water you are likely to use.

I have a 10 gallon kettle on the way, with the horizontal couplers, looking forward to trying it out.

Latest posts

Back