Powdered Corn Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I use the simple can concentrates and have been very satisfied with the results. But (There is always a but) The head on lightweight beers Largers for example have minimum head and no legs (Wine Terminology). After much searching I have been advised to add 200 grms of Corn Syrup. It seems hard to get but I have found some powder.

So I will try. My next brew will be a German Bock which should have natural head. I will try on a Draught I brewed before to test. The results may take a while as I have a couple of brews in the system.

I cannot thank this forum enough for putting me on to using a secondary clearing fermenter. To that I had guests around and was able to serve up 4 varieties to their enjoyment. I am getting a good rep. I should imagine that moving up the ladder to extract brewing would improve my standing. I may one day but probably not go as far as some of you enfusiasts. I do not know anyone who goes to those lengths. I have tried beer from the beer suppliers who say they do the whole process and was disappointed as the beer was not as I like it. Crystal clear and no yeasty tastes

Added:-
I should mension that the Corn Syrup powder has no additives and is supplied by Country Brewers a local brew shop near me

Glad to hear we've helped. I've not heard of using corn syrup to improve head, but then again I'm still fairly new. Please let us know the results of your experiment.

Corn Sugar has no place in German Beer. If you are looking to increase head and retention then use a carapils malt.

i think your alittle confused, wouldent corn syrup in powder form be sugar?

sort of but I believe it does not fully ferment out and adds to the specific gravity.

Hmm... no.

Corn Syrup (liquid) (the non hfcs kind) is D-glucose. Karo would be the big brand name. It ferments out completely.

Corn Sugar (solid) is dextrose (D-glucose) and is also essentially 100% fermentable.

The other solid is corn starch(flour), which if just added to wort is non-fermentable. (not to mention, it's a commonly used thickening agent in gravy.) You could add it to the mash and the amylases would convert it.

Malto-dextrin is a solid powder like corn sugar and is partially fermentable. It also adds to body and head retention due to the unfermentable starches.

Hmm... no.

Corn Syrup (liquid) (the non hfcs kind) is D-glucose. Karo would be the big brand name. It ferments out completely.

Corn Sugar (solid) is dextrose (D-glucose) and is also essentially 100% fermentable.

The other solid is corn starch(flour), which if just added to wort is non-fermentable. (not to mention, it's a commonly used thickening agent in gravy.) You could add it to the mash and the amylases would convert it.

Malto-dextrin is a solid powder like corn sugar and is partially fermentable. It also adds to body and head retention due to the unfermentable starches.

+1. Corn syrup or sugar will thin your beer out.

Back