Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morhops

Reaction score
So I've never made a wheat beer and read around a bit and put together this recipe. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

6lbs wheat dme
1lbs flaked wheat (mashed and sparged)
1lbs honey
1oz sazz 60min
1oz sazz 10min
1oz coriander seed 10min
0.5oz bitter orange peel 10min
dry hop on 1oz hallertau

I just thought I'd throw in hallertau as I've never used it before. Also I've never done a partial mash before so I thought I'd give it a shot with a small amount and see how it goes from there. I'll probably brew it up friday once the flying tortoise ipa is in the secondary. If there is any thing that is a blatant mistake about this recipe, please let me know as this is the first batch I've strayed from the recipe on.

First off flaked grains have no enzymes of their own, it will need to be mashed with a base malt. Malted wheat might be the easiest thing.

I'm game for the honey, peel and coriander but would eliminate the 10 minute hop addition. What type of yeast? Could go with a clean ale or a Belgian Wit, just not a Bavarian wheat.

Ya the coriander and orange peel make this more of a belgina wit (wheat) so I would use a yeast accordingly.

See you're using a Wit yeast so guess that's sums up your intentions. For simplicity leave out the flaked wheat. If you really want to use it just plan on a mini mash with a good dose of base malt. The later hop additions aren't called for in the style as it will compete with the spices.

From what I have learned about Wits, the flaked wheat can be steeped to add proteins and haze to the beer. They don't really have to provide any fermentable sugars,so don't need to be mashed. I just did a kit like this and you steep oats, wheat, coriander, and bitter orange peels. Just used a pre-made "all-grain" wort kit as the base (A cervesa or Canadian light in my LHBS), and fermented with Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast.

Now if you are mashing the 6lbs of wheat you will need the enzymes which is why wheat beers are generally half malted barley in the mash. Am I right?

And as PT RAy said, don't worry about the hops. The yeast and spices take care of that neck of the woods.

Back