My fermentation has slowed down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
Started 2 ciders last Saturday (6 days ago) and it only took about 4 hours for a good fermentation to start. It has bubbled hard for the past 5-6 days and been really steady. This morning the bubbles had slowed to about 1 every 10 - 15 seconds and I noticed inside there are much less bubbles going on. It looks like everything is really slowed down. My cider still has not cleared but I was thinking of racking into a clean 1 gallon and cold crashing. I don't want to ferment it dry, but I also planned on back sweetening. Is this ready to be racked and is it nearing completion or should I leave it alone and let it keep going ?

Also, is there a general rule for cider on when its ready? Like 1 bubble every 30 seconds or something ? I would like to hear how everyone else is timing their "quick" drinking cider. Without using a hydrometer.

I'm not looking to age this. Just trying my first brew as some quick drinking cider. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I started mine last Saturday too and the bubbles have slowed as well.. it seems from everything i've been reading it says to let it sit for at least 4 weeks before doing anything. Is yours starting to smell like sulfur too?

Mine still smells like apples. I used yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. If yours smells like sulfur it is lacking those and the yeast are starving. You should open the top and aerate it a little maybe by lightly moving the juice around.

I racked mine last night and cold crashed it in the fridge. I tasted it and it was awesome. I think if you wait your 3 or 4 weeks yours will ferment really dry. Mine still has apple flavor and I love it.

The sulfur is from the yeast getting stressed.
Possibly temperature related if your fermentation area is hot. Not neccesarily from lack of nutrients since, from what I understand, apple juice is loaded with stuff that yeast loves.

I've only ever had a sulfur smell once and that was from a batch fermenting in the garage in the middle of a heatwave in summer. Either way, the sulfur will dissipate with time, but I wouldn't bottle it till it is all gone.

Lastly, the bubbles mean nothing in terms of fermentation. They can come faster, slower or not at all in some cases. Hydrometers are cheap and really the most reliable method of measuring fermentation.

Be patient. Depending on temp, yeast and sugar mine has done the same. After 10 days - 2 weeks I check the SG. If under 1.000 I rack it and let it sit for weeks or months til it clears

Latest posts

Back